CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

bike help please

Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike help please

Hello riders
so i posted earlier and had problems getting the starter motor to crank. however, after a starter relay replacement and a new CDI, the starter motor cranks but no fire. it just wont start. i hear it sputtering at the muffler and smell rich gas, so i would assume the plugs arent firing. what could be the problem? ignition coils? and why the hell would they go bad. the bike has been in my house for the winter and the only thing done to it was carb cleaning and fork seal replacement. although i must admit i opened the timing case thing on the right side and thought i tinkered, but put it right back the way it was. plugs are not brand new but fairly new. my only other thought would be that the engine on off switch is broken and wont complete the circuit to fire. although the start button works. so i am completely out of ideas.. please help me here. i dont want to spend a fortune at the mechanic to fix somthing simple. thanks

Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Default RE: bike help please

Make sure all the plugs are getting spark. Ground the wires with a screwdriver to frame make sure you have spark.... Also the plugs might be fouled since its just been crankin, try pulling them out clean em if new/regap. You never actually touched the timing chain tho really like caused slack or anyting?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM

no,nothing.just twisted thatbolt andthen returned it to its original place.
ok this might sound like a dumb question but how exactly doyou check for spark?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM

to check the sparkfrom each cylinder,unplug each coils, take one spark plug out and plug it into the coil wireout thesparkplug back into the coil and hold itagainst the frame and press the start buttonwhile it 's still against the frame if you gat a blue spark between the frame and plug then that cylinder is get a spark,repeat this for the other 3 cylinders. good luck

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 PM

If you dont have spark at the plug, make sure you have fire from the coil. Take a screwdriver and put it in the place of the plug. Make sure you are getting that same spark from the coil to the screwdriver that isgrounded at the frame. No need buying plugs if the coil doesnt have fire. If it doesnt have fire at the coil you can go backward from there to find the reason you dont have fire.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Well it is going to smell rich, you are cranking over the unit without it firing, so you are dumping that raw fuel into your pipes. What i would do is pop off the air box or if there is an opening in the air box for fresh fuel, i usually spray carb clean or brake cleaner in there and if you got spark and just not getting fuel, or you are running some really really bad fuel that carb clean should act like an alternate and it will sputter, fire, or even run depending how you monitor your spray and throttle opening. If you get nothing, then pop off the spark plug caps and remove your plugs. Easy way to check for spark is to plug in the plugs into the coil caps and lay the plug on the head and crank it over. You'll see this nice blue spark. If you don't get anything, see if there is battery voltage at one of the coil leads....the one or two small wires plugging into the coil.! If nothing then you aren't getting power to it, maybe check fuses first. Try that for starters

Old 04-20-2008, 04:40 PM

ok sohere is the update. i took a look as all 4 plugs and i am not getting anything. no sparknothing. fuel is fine, but no spark. however, my ignition coils work fine, i checked all connections and continuity in the coils and plugs. all normal. checked the ICM pulse generator continuity from the ICM. normal. checked all other (neutral switch, grounds power etc) all normal. the ICM is from a working bike. just got it. battery died after trying to crank it for so long. WHAT AM I MISSInG?!?! please.. its getting pretty desparate here. i'm gonna charge the battery and see if i cant get it to crank some more tomorrow. but what else should i be checking? should i just get a new wiring harness? i dont want to go buy things if things arent broken. i am out of ideas. please let me know what you think to get this bike started. thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Sounds to me like you might want to double check that kill switch. Maybe jump it over or something. What about the kickstand safety switch? Are you in neutral? Im sure you are if the bike is turning over, but check all the kill areas and see if something is preventing you from having spark. You are getting fuel, so find out why the spark isnt coming about so you can ride brother!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM

i would check your pulse generator man. i bet thats your problem because if everything else checks out thats the only other thing i can think of. it would be i believe near your ignition rotor on the right side of your bike in front of your clutch housing.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM

ya know its weird. cause from the ICM i checked the pulse generator for continuity and it was good. does that mean i could still have a problem with it?
how do i go about checking into the pulse generator? please let me know. and is it a big fix?
thanks

Search this Thread