Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: battery

thanx man

Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 AM

ok i am not finding anything on testin the stator so if you could pm me a link or something

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was embedded in one of the charging system threads....It was kind of buried in there but I knew I had see it somewhere.

http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/140473/ShowPost.aspx

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 AM

thanx man hopefully this will help me out some what to figure out what my issues are

Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 AM

If you download the service manual from the net it has test procedured for the F2. The RPMs needing to be about 2k are almost normal to get the system voltage up, but then them going dim after 3,500k or so is not normal. That indicated the battery is not the culprit, but either the stator or the R/R. (or both at this point.)

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM

ok so say it is just the battery what will be the negetive affects of still runnig the bike with a dead battery i can push start it and it will start right up with no problems but the battery will not start it no power in the battery

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM

if you can push start the battery and the bike runs, the battery will most likely read at 12volts or better sitting. If the bike will not crank though, or it cranks slow, then the battery is bad and what is happening is that the battery voltage is ok, but put under a load, the battery cannot deliver the required or advertised amps. What you really need to do though is get a multimeter and test the voltages of the battery with the bike shut off and then see what the battery does when you try to start the bike. My old battery went down to 8v, which is when I realized it was really toast, and not just drained. Second, you will want to check the output to the battery while the bike is running. The book says to test at 5k PRMs. You should get certain voltages at certain RPMs. If you do not get the specified voltages, other things besides the battery could be bad.

Also, I made the post before about cold not killing a battery and then the next person posted a quote saying it could. To clarify, cold can kill a battery, IF it is in a discharged state. IE, battery going bad, or was over charged. However, just to say that cold kills a battery would be completely wrong, as evidenced by all the cars that actually start up in the winter up north here.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:16 AM

i know cold does not kill a battery it is just under move of a load in colder situation at startup due thicker engine oil etc i am rather mechuically inclined when it comes to cars and i try to relate some of what i know bout cars to my bike but seeing how dam near all my tools got stolen i have to wait paycheck to paycheck to get the tools i might need ie voltmeter i also like to have lit on the cars or bikes that i have at that pirticaluar time and this site is the best because someone somewhere has had the same problem at one time or another thanx man to everyone that has put some input in

Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM

The 10w40 or 15w-50 that you may have in the bike won't affect the cranking all that much when cold. I thought the same thing, but was able to fire my bike up no problem when it hit 20 here. Slow cranking has more to do with the battery's inability to provide full power under the cold conditions. That's why you need to make sure it's fully charged.

I have a feeling that you are going through the same thing now that I did in the fall. My battery had gotten so bad that it wouldn't even turn the starter on a warm day, but would allow the bike to fire fine if I push started it. (I even have a nice GSXR R/R to install as I thought that was the problem)

Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 PM

whats the deal with that by the way i have talked to a few people and they say the honda r/r arejunk and i should replace it with a gsxr or yama r/r is this true what is the difference between a ho0nda and the others the r/r has been replaced with a factory one with cooling fins the stock one did not have the fins other than the fins what is the difference

Quick Reply: battery