CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Ay, i just bought a '93 cbr f2 with 16,xxx miles on it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ay, i just bought a '93 cbr f2 with 16,xxx miles on it.

Whats good fellas. Im posting in this thread because i just bought a '93 cbr f2 with 16,xxx miles on it. got it for 1000 too great deal. it does need front brakes though and a new seal (or something similliar) where the exaughst connects to the muffler but it runs great. the previous owner replaced the cam chain tensioner already.i just noticed some rust on the swingarm on the U shaped piece of metal ahead of the wheel. Im keeping it at a friends house but i plan on going over there tomorrow and scrubbing it with steel wool and coca cola if anybody knows any other Cheap rust removing alternitives im all ears. I plan on doing the brakes hopefully sometime next week but the roads have got to be snow free so i can ride it to a buddies who mechanically inclined. Im pretty good with mechanic in theory because my father was a mechinic so i was always around it but i could def. use more hands on experience, epsecially with bikes. I Always had honda dirtbikes so i never had to work on 'em . First street bike btw. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
P.S. benj for whatever reason the site wouldnt let me look at the pictures but it sounds great what you're doing with your bike. You've inspired me to take care of my bike on another level...

Last edited by 74demon; 02-09-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: threadjack,started own thread
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum!
Good luck with all you're going to do to yours, and get some pics up, so we can see what you're working with.

I'm heading out to the garage right now, so as far as any questions you have, I'll have to chime in later on, but there's lots of guys here with helpful knowledge, who will probably give you some pointers... I will say quickly, that for me, when it comes to rust, I prefer a permanent solution, like sandblasting or using a wire wheel to remove layers of corrosion, and then repainting the part, or better yet, powder-coating.

Don't forget:

Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Thanks JNSRacing. Its funny i stopped over today and the patch of rust was Much smaller and not even nearly as bad as i remember. I think its because when i spotted it it was in a garage at night so ghe lighting was very poor. Theres still some rust where i thought but its not that that bad at all def something i can just scrub off in the short term. I dont have access and/or money to sand blast, so can you reccomend any sprays or anything that you know of? Also the chain is beggining to get a tiny bit of rust on it as well what should i use to lube it/protect it? Im gessing ky wont kut it... Last thing what should i use for coolant its really low. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Oh yeah JNS im 3/4s of the way through reading '93 mods- Phase 1 and bro that is one of the best bike blogs ive read period good stuff. The part about how fitting aftermarket fairings saved my ***! I ws thknking about getting some cuz mine are f'ed up and im sooo glad i know about those fitting issues! ps pics will be up within the next week..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by SSamson
...Theres still some rust where i thought but its not that that bad at all def something i can just scrub off in the short term. I dont have access and/or money to sand blast, so can you reccomend any sprays or anything that you know of?
Honestly, I haven't used any rust inhibitor chemicals in years, with the exception of the obvious WD-40 spray - like I said, when it comes to rust, you just gotta scub/scrape/brush it off, then get a new layer of protection down, whether it be spray paint, touch-up paint, powder-coating, etc.

...Also the chain is beggining to get a tiny bit of rust on it as well what should i use to lube it/protect it? Im gessing ky wont kut it...
Well, when I think of "chains" in conjunction with KY jelly, I'm thinking "whips & chains" and maybe a black latex clad hottie!
Nah, KY is not recommended for the bike!

Any spray chain cleaner that's made for motorcycle chains, and safe for the rubber o-rings, is fine, and you can get them at any motorcycle dealer.
I use Motorex chain cleaner, which is really good stuff - Moterex makes probably the best fork oil out there... for lubing, I use either Motorex or PJ1.
Also, when cleaning the chain, I recommend a brush specifically made for chain cleaning, like the "Grime Minister" chain brush.

...Last thing what should i use for coolant its really low. Thanks for the help!
Coolant is typical: 50/50 distilled water and corrosion inhibited ethylene glycol antifreeze, or, you can use Watter Wetter or Engine Ice, which are non-ethylene glycol based (required for racing, as they are non-slippery on the track surface, compared to regular coolants), and they can keep the motor a touch cooler.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM

Oh yeah JNS im 3/4s of the way through reading '93 mods- Phase 1 and bro that is one of the best bike blogs ive read period good stuff. The part about how fitting aftermarket fairings saved my ***! I ws thknking about getting some cuz mine are f'ed up and im sooo glad i know about those fitting issues!
Thanks, it ain't perfect, but I've put a lot of work into it, that's for sure!
And I'm glad the thread could be a help, as well, with regards to the fairing information.

...ps pics will be up within the next week..
Alright, looking forward to seeing it! If you've got a lot to do, and have need for parts, definitely check out the separate "for sale" section, which is a sub-section of the F2 forum:

F2 For Sale / Trade / Wanted

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 AM

Ok cool. Im probobly going to pick up some motorex, chain brush, coolant and spray paint sometime soon. I was going to try and get stuff done this week but a few things came up. Still planning on getting some pics done tomorrow though... I found a guy that does bike work pretty cheap thank goodness! I didnt know tires were $300 and i forgot that ive gotta pay $660 on some old fines. I love new york...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM

... Last thing what should i use for coolant its really low. Thanks for the help!
I like Engine Ice. My bike does seem to run a tiny bit cooler with it and I like that it's non-toxic. Regular coolant is nasty stuff so nice not to have to deal with it.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Default Photos!

Testing 1 2... I uploaded a few photos hopefully this works... For whatever reason i wasnt able to upload whole pics of the bike im thinking the pics were too big? Well here goes nothing

Attached Thumbnails Ay, i just bought a '93 cbr f2 with 16,xxx miles on it.-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Default 2

Attached Thumbnails Ay, i just bought a '93 cbr f2 with 16,xxx miles on it.-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ay, i just bought a '93 cbr f2 with 16,xxx miles on it.