CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Attn. Experienced Riders

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn. Experienced Riders

I have searched the forum here, and thru yahoo/google and have found very little info,so it's time to make a post. I hope this isn't a taboo topic...

I realize that accident avoidance is obviously best, but in the event it's inevitable, are there more correct ways to crash? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to crashing, but statistically I'm due. And I want to learn from people who have been through it already the the best way to increase my chances of walking or at least crawling away from a crash. Are there do's and don'ts or techniques?

Anything you can share with the less experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- rey

Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: Attn. Experienced Riders

Don't hit anything.

(and wear full gear)

Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 PM

wear your gear, it helps.
if a crash is unavoidable, different circumstances require different response. Try to hit at an angle. Maybe purposely tip your bike over to be closer the ground for impact. It all depends
An important detail i've learned from crashing bmx, is when you know your going down, don't tense up. stay calm and relaxed(easier said then done). And try to control your slide/tumble to lessen the severity. again its easier said than done. It definitely takes practice to get a feel of how to crash which isnt practice you want.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 PM

when i was going too fast into a turn and i knew i couldn't stick it i just slowed as much as i could and aimed for a smooth area of grass....grass is more forgiving than asphault....also lay the bike down on your terms and it will be less likely to tumble

Old 01-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Cool, I thought I'd get some responses to this.

Gear is a given. And don't tense up.

But here on the island, it's pretty lax. You'd swear the stop signs are justfor tourists. Having already been hit on mybicycleby chatty cell phone drivers darting out of side streets three out of fourtimes in the last couple months, I consider that to be a major possiblity. Too short to stop, no room to go around, but enoughtime to react,what do you do?

Also, how do you lay a bike on its side on your terms?

Thanks for the input so far guys, thiscould be useful to a lot of us. Keep it going, please.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM

My advice? Better to stay on the bike and bleed off as much speed as you can before impact than to intentionally low side.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Practice emergency braking and maneuvering, like Kwong said, slow yourself down as much as possible and let your body loose if you DO impact.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Dont be scared going out tho, the more scared you arew the most likley you will crash or do somthing stupid.I went out with one kid and he was soscared the first turn he high sided and he sold the bike the next day. I go out every day when it is warm andI stay cool nowI knee scrape andI have only been riding for less then a year. still scared of wheelies because of my turbo butI took the turbo off and now scared **** out of wheelies but im not out for stunting im a cornering kind of guy!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: reydelaplaya

I have searched the forum here, and thru yahoo/google and have found very little info,so it's time to make a post. I hope this isn't a taboo topic...

I realize that accident avoidance is obviously best, but in the event it's inevitable, are there more correct ways to crash? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to crashing, but statistically I'm due. And I want to learn from people who have been through it already the the best way to increase my chances of walking or at least crawling away from a crash. Are there do's and don'ts or techniques?

Anything you can share with the less experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- rey

Great post! looking for more info as well!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 PM

to lay your bike down intentionally, lean over and slam the front brakes.

Quick Reply: Attn. Experienced Riders