CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Another plastic Question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another plastic Question??

So I was looking online at rear tail sections. Would it be possible to "weld all the rear plastics" to make it look flush and one piece. As in making the 3 piece section intoone and removingthe connection lines.Idk the more it snows there more crazy ideas im getting so.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Default RE: Another plastic Question??

its absolutely possible. I did my F3 tail over a weekend a month or so ago. It turns out really nice. the hardest part is getting the three pieces all pressed together for the set time that the epoxy needs. My recomendation is to do it as if it were welding(grind each touching piece at a 45 deg angle) so that you get more epoxy bond area, then have at it. This is how mine looked when i got done, and i was really impatient and running out of day and had to rush, so the finish is not that great.Oh the epoxy you can get from advance or checkers or any mom and pops auto store should have...good luck

Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM

or you can plastic weld it

http://www.hejet.com/plasticwelder.html

Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM

Check your local surf shop (if you have one) for a product called Sun Cure. It's a polyester resin filled with shredded fiberglass we use to fix surfboards. Comes in a tube like toothpaste,conforms to any shape surface with a great bond, and cures in the sun tobe grindable, sandable, andpaintable in about five minutes. All you gotta do is sand the shine off the plastic first.

For visible seams to havean ultra smooth finish, putty knife it in (like spackling), and cover it with wide, clear packagingtape while it cures - peel off the tape, and it's all one smooth piece. For the inside of the joint,smear on some resin, lay a piece of fiberglass fabricover the seam, and putty knife it smooth to absorb the resin. It's like steel when it dries.

PS. Careful, once you guys see how easy and cool this stuff works, you might start wanting to make your own fiberglass body panels.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM

that stuff kinda work like bondo??

Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM

You can use it as a filler, so it could be similar to bondo, but this stuff is super strong and clear as glass. Have a close look at a surfboard, same stuff.

Who's gonna be the first to shroud their entire ride in custom made clear fiberglass?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM

i like the clear idea cause bondo gets all over the place

Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Yeah i don't live anywhere near a surf shop but i do work at a pep boys so im sure ill be able to find something. Cletus, that is the exact look im going for so hopefully it will turn out because the way it looks now looks dumb to me at least so. Off to work. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:10 PM

There you go, papi, about 10 bucks for a tube. Comes with extra goodies like some fiberglass fabric, rubber spatula spreader,and of course popsicle stix.

you can even use it to make new attachment tabs using a little fiberglass fabric, cool stuff!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:25 PM

im taking notes thanks

Quick Reply: Another plastic Question??