CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Advice on '91 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on '91 rebuild

Hi! I have a 1991 CBR600F2 with about 14k miles that I bought secondhand in 1992. It's in good cosmetic condition, the OEM bodywork and decals are mainly intact, save minor scuffs and a missing fuse box cover that got stolen. Otherwise it looks exactly as it did when I bought it. Unfortunately I bought it as a salvage and didn't realize that until later - the original owner didn't point it out and I was too young and stupid to know anything or what to do. Overall the bike never gave me any problem that I recall though and always performed great for my needs and skills.

More to the point, unfortunately it also hasn't been ridden, or even started, since November 1999. It was never drained, it's just sat on its kickstand collecting dust. It has received a few light baths along the way. Obviously it has some sentimental virtue though, or I would have dumped it years ago - my ex-wife said I could keep it since I had it before her, but I'd never get another if I got rid of that one. I'm pretty glad I kept the bike. :-) I even still have its tank bra.

In order for it to be rideable I already know I need to replace: dented swingarm and rear rim (the salvage fallout), battery, brake lines, tires, and chain. Undoubtedly the gaskets need replacing and the carbs probably need to be rebuilt. That's just what I know about.

I realize the real answer to my question is mostly my motivation because most of the parts I mentioned can be replaced at a reasonable cost. That aside, what I need to ask is if this engine is salvageable after sitting on its sidestand with fluids for the last 13 years? I don't think I want to buy a another engine, and I have no skills in tearing down an engine. I would need to hire out any rebuilding. I doubt I'd get the money back to sell after it was restored (could it?), so the restore has to be within reason. It seems like it could be a nice project, but only if the engine isn't trashed by my neglect and if I'm not just looking at a moneypit that's never going to be worth the effort. Also, I need to weigh the cost and effort of a restoration against just buying another reasonably priced used bike if I'm merely looking for something to ride and not sell. Thoughts?

I appreciate any feedback and advice, thanks.

Last edited by F1jones; 09-19-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Well...IMO, sell it as it sits or fix it and ride it. The value of that bike running is not much more than it not.
The engine should be fine. Just give it fresh fluids and turn it over to circulate oil before lighting it up with fresh gas. See what happens. You definitely will need to rebuild the carbs, put new plugs, and clean out the tank.

Don't forget to get new tires before you ride it.

You will be in it for way more than its worth, but the satisfaction of bringing her back will be worth every penny. That is, if you're gonna ride her.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 PM

everything demon says plus, check the tank for rust. if it has rust, any at all, replace the tank or restore the inside of the tank with that tank rust treatment reconditioing stuff. i dont know exactly what its called. from past experiances, even a little rust in a fuel system will cause major headaches.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with those miles, deffy a saver. As demon said, pull the plugs and give it a few turns with the starter to see it's cranking. Can't see why it wouldn't work. Has it been standing in a warm, dry garage or some cold shed? Might wanna flush the tank and pull the petcock, the vacuum valve could use some TLC, just to rule out too obvious things one can overlook while pondering why the F*#+ the %&$#* won't start no matter what U do...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

ah, brent beat me to it while writing...

Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks a lot for all the valuable feedback. Okay, sounds like this thing needs to be got running again. I'll send some updates and let you know how it goes, but the kickoff is still a little bit in the future while I budget this out! Cheers!

Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
everything demon says plus, check the tank for rust. if it has rust, any at all, replace the tank or restore the inside of the tank with that tank rust treatment reconditioing stuff. i dont know exactly what its called. from past experiances, even a little rust in a fuel system will cause major headaches.
Easier way to save the tank.Creem is sooooooo 70s.

Go to a tractor supply company/store and get the rust remover that's a gel-acid in a jug.Fill the tank with it (takes $40 worth,2 jugs).Let the tank sit for 48 hrs.Empty tank.Inside of your tank will be clean.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, that was mighty big of your wife at the time to allow you to keep it!! No disrespect, but I'm glad for you, that she's gone, and you got your ***** back! It's time to ride, my man!

It's true, you could spend a lot of money, but more than likely the biggest expense will be just time... or, you could sell it to me, as I'm looking for a spare F2!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM

I fully agree with 'Demon'. The motor should be fine but the carbs need a rebuild. Cycle it to flow fuids through it and then light it up. Take it easy and slow for the 1st 200 miles and keep checking oil levels to see if the seals are blown. Put a couple tanks of 93 octane in for lower flashpoint and it helps cleans a little, you don't want too much pressure if you don't know what the seals look like. It wouldn't hurt to put a inline fuel filter to collect crap coming from the gas tank before it gets to your newly rebuilt carbs.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Yamalube carb dip to start on your carbs.O-ring safe,easy to use.