CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

93 F2 fixer upper

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 F2 fixer upper

Ipicked up this fixer-upper that hasn't been started for years. Looks like someone tried to treat the gas tank but it's still some rust in it. Itried an external fuel tank I made with a plastic bottle. When I hooked it up the gas in the bottle drained itself into the engine (I never got the engne started). I figure the floats were not sealing and the gas was flowing into the crankcase. I yanked the carbs and cleaned it up. Rubbed the float seals with alcohol. Drained and refilled the engine oil. After I got the carbs back on I hooked up the fuel tank with a filter to catch any crud before it got to the carbs. Still no start. If Ihold the throttle wide open the engine sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. Any ideas?

var callCount = ((oBw.agt.match( /gecko/ ) == "gecko"))? 0 : 50;
function rmvScroll( msg )
{
if ( ++callCount > 10 ) { msg.style.visibility = "visible"; }
if ( callCount msg.clientHeight ) {
msg.style.height = ( msg.scrollHeight + delta ) + "px";
}
delta = msg.offsetWidth - msg.clientWidth;
delta = ( isNaN( delta )? 1 : delta + 1 );
if ( msg.scrollWidth > msg.clientWidth ) {
msg.style.width = ( msg.scrollWidth + delta ) + "px";
}
msg.style.overflow = "hidden";
msg.style.visibility = "visible";
}
function imgsDone( msg ) // for Firefox, we need to scan for images that haven't set their width yet
{
var imgList = msg.getElementsByTagName( "IMG" );
var len = ((imgList == null)? 0 : imgList.length);
for ( var i = 0; i

DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove... [/align]
Previous | Next | Back to Messages Save Message Text | Full Headers [/align]

Old 04-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Default RE: 93 F2 fixer upper

Are you getting spark? Are the plugs fuel fouled?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 AM

Pulled the carbs off again and wiped and wiped and wiped (you get the idea) the float stopper rubber tips with alcohol pads. Put everything back together and the bike started. But...it dies if I don't keepreving it. Even after a good warm up the bike won't really idle. I think if I put on a clean fuel tank and petcock assembly it may run better. Any ideas (as far as the idle is concerned)? I changed the oil and filter (again) since gas got into the crankcase.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 AM

Prob. a stupied question but did You try to adjust the idle speed. When You get it started does it rev OK, the carbs could be way out of sync. Also make sure You have the air filter and air box all connected.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM

It revs kinda ok...seems likethe rpmshang a little then comes down.But yes revs OK. I connected the larger air line that connectsto the bottom of the "upper-right corner of the air filter box. There's some air lines that converge under the "fwd-center" of the air filter box that I can't figure out if it connects into anything, so I just left it alone. I didn't see any other lines that needed tobe connected to the air box assy. I fooled around with the idle ajustment,wish it was that simple.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Can You hold the throttle 1/8th open and manually make the bike idle?If so You still should be able to turn the idle screw in until it holds an idle, might take a couple turns.

If it hangs up that is a sign of running lean, maybe a vacuum leak, try using some W-D40 and spraying around base of carbs. Also make sure the gas tank breather tubes aren't clogged.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM

did you check to see if the fuel mixture screws are in sinc. it should be 1 1/2 turns out. i was having problem like that when i jetted my bike. it would rev up but would catch at 9,000 and hang then slowly drop.check all the boots are you seeding the carbs all the way? air filter clean and box sealed?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 AM

The mixture screws still has the brass covers on. Today....no start. I see fuel in the filter I installed but fuel may not be getting to the carbs. I'll try my home made fuel bottle again when I have time to fool around with this piece of junk.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 AM

check for pinched fuel line, when building my bike i routed the fuel line wrong to the carbs and pinched it on the frame would run for about 5 minutes then run out of gas and die, i would lift the tak fuel would get to the carbs and do the same thins over gain. take the tank off and look at the line if you see any pinches in it you might be having the same problem.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 AM

Yes, I think you're right. I'd bet my right n...(forget it I won't go there) it's a fuel delivery problem. I'm keeping an eye out on ebay for a fuel tank and petcock.But I just want to get this baby running before I start spending serious money on it.

Quick Reply: 93 F2 fixer upper