CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

600 f2 second gear pops out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 f2 second gear pops out!

i know this is common on these bikes but i heard that other than replaces the second gears u can put a spring in the trani somewhere that helps it stay in gear. i havent found anything online about this so i figured id ask. the bike supposedly only has 13000 miles on it at least thats waht the odometer reads but yeah ive been just skipping second cuz it pops out easy. any help would be great!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 AM

Is it popping out, or is it when you shift into second while taking off that it sometimes doesn't take? I had a problem where under hard acceleration I'd go to jump into second, and it would suddenly get forced into nuetrul and just not work.

A factory pro shift detent spring solves everything. They are cheap too, $40 shipped. It's a bit absurd for just a small spring and a gasket, but it does work. It made shifting on my bike very stiff at first, and sucked in sneakers but was fine in boots. It breaks in great though and solves the issue completely.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM

that actually sounds like a good idea for this bike, hell i may even try it too.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 PM

I advocate it as a necessary upgrade for any bike that's seen hard riding over it's life time. It all but eliminates false neutrals once broken in!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Has anyone done a "how to" on the spring change? very interested.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Not that I know of. I had a friend help. The directions included with the kit are to be followed exactly and do help. You will need the shop manual though to understand how to remove the clutch basket.

Key areas of trouble to focus on:

Ensure that the bike goes through all the gears by manually turning the rear wheel and shifting. You should be able to go through all six. You may encounter resistance, which is fine, but if it doesn't go through all six, it won't mystically get better. It needs to be taken apart and re-addressed.

When putting the clutch basket back in and placing the cover back on, make sure the clutch lever disengages the clutch properly before tightening all the bolts and what not.

Also, this job obviously requires an oil change. Be prepared for that.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jbrogan2007
i heard that other than replaces the second gears u can put a spring in the trani somewhere that helps it stay in gear.
If your second gear dogs and shift fork are worn/damaged, a Factory Pro shift kit won't help you. You will need to remove the engine and split the case to change the tranny parts.

The shift kit will ensure the shifts are fast and will maximize the life of the second gear components once they are replaced.

I just replaced second gear and the shift fork on my track F2.
Worn second gear:

LEFT: Worn shift fork / RIGHT: good shift fork:

If you can do the work you self the cost will be about $60 for gaskets and about $200-$300 for worn gears & shift fork. If you can't do the work, buy a used engine and put it in.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Yeah, mine still pops out here and there and surely isn't perfect. Looks like what you're doing may become my winter project, along with some basic plastic restoration.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM

ok so ive been ridin for awhile and ive noticed that if i hold it in second when i shift into it it only pops out once and a while and if im holding the shifter it goes right back in so im wondering if the detent spring from factory pro or the whole shift kit will help... idk its not hard to do the sptring change so ill prolly try that first. i did find a how to on it i dont remeber where though...

Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 AM

The spring change isn't exactly a mindlessly easy job either. Prepare yourself for additional time just incase. Also, if you've been consider replacing the clutch, this is your chance!

Quick Reply: 600 f2 second gear pops out!