CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

1994 CBR 600 F2 Carb Issue? Or what!

  #1  
Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Default 1994 CBR 600 F2 Carb Issue? Or what!

I just got my second CBR 600 f2 and this bike is in ruff shape but for $400 bucks who can complain? Now the issue Im having with it is, It will not go over 7k RPM in 6th gear. 1-5th Its fine, bounces off the rev limiter but as soon as you gear up into 6th it just bogs down and I have to feather it to a sweet spot which is right between 6.5-7k RPM and wont go over that. The previous owner told me the carbs just need to be synched, But before I go out and buy myself a $100 tool and it might be something even simpler what should I do guys. I just spent my whole pay check on the bike, and everything I could think of to make it look pretty off ebay (Will Post Pics Before and After) But I have to get it running right. Any input at all would help!!! Thanks In Advanced. Also it is Naked if that matters I was reading something about the air intake.
 
  #2  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM
gtcole's Avatar
Welcome Crew
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waycross, Ga
Posts: 688
Default

The air intake when naked usually only happens at cruising. You can make a carb sync tool pretty cheap. Theres threads somewhere around here. How long was it sitting? What was the gas like? Any intake leaks that you know of? I'd check the fuel delivery first, then clean the carbs real good, just to ensure its done, then sync them and gofrom there. others will chime in with their suggestions. The best route is start simple first. Do the free things and checking, then spend money. I learned that the hard way along time ago ha.
 
  #3  
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by gtcole View Post
The air intake when naked usually only happens at cruising. You can make a carb sync tool pretty cheap. Theres threads somewhere around here. How long was it sitting? What was the gas like? Any intake leaks that you know of? I'd check the fuel delivery first, then clean the carbs real good, just to ensure its done, then sync them and go from there. others will chime in with their suggestions. The best route is start simple first. Do the free things and checking, then spend money. I learned that the hard way along time ago ha.
I coudlnt wait anymore, I tore the bike down changed the plugs cleaned the carbs and bench synched them. The carbs looked brand new inside, I held the diaphragms up to the light no holes, the slides are all working properly I used a piece of string and cleaned the jets out. there wasn't anything in them these carbs where just professionally cleaned. I put it all back together, it fired right up I took it down the street and again it ran amazing in 1-4 but 5th it bogged down and 6th it bogged down I checked all the lines Ive already ran two full tanks of gas through it so water in the tank isn't an option. WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE??? Also The air filter was a little dirty but not enough to cause any lagg. (K&N)
 
  #4  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,172
Default

Weird. Make sure none of your carb vent lines are bent, and they are all connected. A homemade sync gauge is easy to do. Just google it. Maybe change the filter and try removing your fuel cap to ensure its not a vacuum lock.

It's weird that its only in 5th-6th. Engine doesn't know what gear you are in. Is the airbox hacked? Maybe some ram air mod that is killing you at higher speed.
 
  #5  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by CorruptFile View Post
Weird. Make sure none of your carb vent lines are bent, and they are all connected. A homemade sync gauge is easy to do. Just google it. Maybe change the filter and try removing your fuel cap to ensure its not a vacuum lock.

It's weird that its only in 5th-6th. Engine doesn't know what gear you are in. Is the airbox hacked? Maybe some ram air mod that is killing you at higher speed.
Air box is stock with K&N filter and the high speed thing makes no sense cause I can do 100 MPH+ in 4th gear but as soon as I shift up it just drops lol Ive talked to mechanics and I get a different answer EVERYTIME. Ive never had a bike do this I had them start out sluggish but never the other way around.
 
  #6  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 577
Default

K&N filters can cause turbulence around the main jet at high speed, it says this in the K&N/dynojet jet kit instructions, but I still run one.
 
  #7  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
K&N filters can cause turbulence around the main jet at high speed, it says this in the K&N/dynojet jet kit instructions, but I still run one.
The thing is it will run fine in 4th gear and Im around 10k rpm doing 90-100 but as soon as I shift up it just wants to die tomorrow I am going to strap a camera to my chest and take it for a ride so you can see first hand what its doing...
 
  #8  
Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 577
Default

Yeah shifting gears will change the rpm and put it in that "flat spot". On another note, is your petcock working correctly? as in not leaking and has no tears in the diaphragm etc. etc.
 
  #9  
Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
Yeah shifting gears will change the rpm and put it in that "flat spot". On another note, is your petcock working correctly? as in not leaking and has no tears in the diaphragm etc. etc.
I will pull the petcock off tomorrow to check that everything is sound I was just reading another post and someone said there kick stand sensor made there bike do the same thing lol and I read that a solenoid could do it as well.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Nick Smith
General Tech
5
10-04-2014 08:37 AM
Nick Smith
F2 Tech
9
09-08-2014 02:56 PM
redhurricane
CBR 600F
11
07-12-2011 04:45 PM
MiDNiGHT
CBR 600F2
0
08-02-2006 03:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 CBR 600 F2 Carb Issue? Or what!


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.