CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   1993 CBR 600 F2 Carb Removal (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/1993-cbr-600-f2-carb-removal-155480/)

johndevlin3 01-30-2017 06:08 PM

1993 CBR 600 F2 Carb Removal

I'm having an issue lifting the carbs. I don't know if they have ever been removed previously and wonder if that is why the boots are so tight. I've disconnected the choke and throttle linkage/loosened connections, unscrewed all 4 hose clamps, and still they don't want to come off. I've gently used a flat bar on one side and my hand on the other to try and rock some play out of it. Any suggestions on how to lift the carb without doing any damage?

tigertim20r1 01-31-2017 01:12 AM

stand at the side of the bike. put one hand on each side of the carbs - i.e. one hand on the handlebar side of the carbs, ad one hand on the seat side of the carbs, and by pressing down on them, gently start rocking them back and forth, using a little more pressure with each rocking motion.

Youll have a **** f a time just trying to lift them straight up.

Rock them forward and backward, and youll feel them start to slip out of the boots that hold them.

also have a real good look at the boots when you take them off, as they could have gone hard, and might be worth replacing with new ones. check for any cracks or splits, if you find any, even a small one, throw them out and replace.

Scorch 02-03-2017 04:24 AM

Carb removal

I just use a pice of wood to lever them off gentle from the back of the bike under the cards, also use some silicon spray on the inside of the boots when you put them back it helps to get it back on and next time if you haven't already put them back

tigertim20r1 02-03-2017 04:22 PM

can help to run the bike for ten minutes first too, to warm up / slightly soften the rubber boots.

EchoWars 10-18-2017 05:41 AM

Old(er) post, but I might add here that I ran into the same deal on my '91 F2 after the carbs had not been off for 20 years. By myself, I could not budge them. Got my stepson over to help, and with each of us on either side of the bike with hands under the carbs, they popped right off, pretty much making a mockery of my earlier effort. :icon_woot:

johndevlin3 10-30-2017 05:43 PM

Thanks all! I ended up using some cut pieces of 1X lumber on each side for leverage and they slid right off. Sorry for such a delay in responding, but life caught up with me ;)

EchoWars 11-19-2017 06:19 AM

Might add that if you'd like to soften those boots, take 'em off and soak 'em in a 3:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol (or denatured alcohol) and Oil of Wintergreen (methyl salicylate) for about a week. Works wonders. I plan to pull the carbs off again this winter, and I'll be softening up the rubber intakes using this method.