CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

1992 cbr good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 cbr good buy?

My freind told me he knows his neighbor is selling his 92 pink and black f2 it has 40xxx but he said he rebuilt the transmisiion and engine last summer.Him and hs dad run a local garage so I think it was done right and he just put new wheel bearings in. The only big deal is he laid it down so the plastics are pretty rough and he wants 1500. Is it worth it? and how much would a complete new set of fairings and fenders cost?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ryan92
My freind told me he knows his neighbor is selling his 92 pink and black f2 it has 40xxx but he said he rebuilt the transmisiion and engine last summer.Him and hs dad run a local garage so I think it was done right and he just put new wheel bearings in. The only big deal is he laid it down so the plastics are pretty rough and he wants 1500. Is it worth it? and how much would a complete new set of fairings and fenders cost?
Brand new fairings OEM are very expensive. How many of the fairings need fixed or replaced? 1500 is a good deal for a slightly banged up F2 that runs very well and was taken care of.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 if it is just rashed and the fairings could be repaired. I've actually filled some pretty serious holes in mine.

You could get a replacement fairing kit on ebay in the $500 range, or troll here and ebay looking for parts and pieces.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a good deal at all....you can get one for that all day long with less miles.... if anything offer a grand bcuz for 1500 bucks you can get a f2 without plastics and buy some brand new plastics and still have some doh left for miles upon miles of riding

Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not flaming you nickels - but where can those "all day long deals" be found? I'm always looking for a project? Sure there's a couple on ebay in decent shape in the $1400-1600 range usually, but if the buyer isn't anywhere near the bike, he'd have to get it shipped or go pick it up for several hundred dollars more in total cost.

I'm not sure I'd buy a 16-20 year old bike without giving it a first hand look-over anyway.

Plus this bike supposedly has had the motor and trans reworked recently - hopefully some sort of verification or even handshake-warranty could be come to. At least he'd have someone to take it to if he had questions.

Plus working with a local seller, the bill of sale could be "tweaked" to save him some registration costs as well.

But I'm all for offering them a grand and see what happens. Can't hurt.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
not flaming you nickels - but where can those "all day long deals" be found? I'm always looking for a project? Sure there's a couple on ebay in decent shape in the $1400-1600 range usually, but if the buyer isn't anywhere near the bike, he'd have to get it shipped or go pick it up for several hundred dollars more in total cost.

I'm not sure I'd buy a 16-20 year old bike without giving it a first hand look-over anyway.

Plus this bike supposedly has had the motor and trans reworked recently - hopefully some sort of verification or even handshake-warranty could be come to. At least he'd have someone to take it to if he had questions.

Plus working with a local seller, the bill of sale could be "tweaked" to save him some registration costs as well.

But I'm all for offering them a grand and see what happens. Can't hurt.

the deals are out there if you look and dont buy the first thing you see. Theres not a great deal 24/7 everwhere, but there will be a great deal come through sooner or later

that ole "i rebuilt the whole thing" isnt really the case when you start lookin into the engine. If he rebuilt the whole engine including trans then he spent some serious coin for brand new parts. If he didnt buy brand new parts then he might as well just bought a pre-running engine

Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by nickels
not a good deal at all....you can get one for that all day long with less miles.... if anything offer a grand bcuz for 1500 bucks you can get a f2 without plastics and buy some brand new plastics and still have some doh left for miles upon miles of riding
Not trying to flame you either but mileage on an F2 is the worst thing to look at. Show me an F2 engine that has died other than ones due to neglect. Good luck finding one. I spend days at the track with my tach in the red and my engine is still in spec with the clearances. I've got 54k on my F2.

What matters more is was it taken care of, and what money is he going to have to put into it to make it look good again?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure how bad the fairings are but I know they are on the bike so they must be fixable

Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Not trying to flame you either but mileage on an F2 is the worst thing to look at. Show me an F2 engine that has died other than ones due to neglect. Good luck finding one. I spend days at the track with my tach in the red and my engine is still in spec with the clearances. I've got 54k on my F2.

What matters more is was it taken care of, and what money is he going to have to put into it to make it look good again?

hmm, mileage the worst thing to look at? Dude rebuilt the engine with only 40k on it that means someone neglected that bike its whole life. You think he rebuilt the head and put new cams in it? You think he put new shift forks in it? etc....nope which means he just rebuilt a crap engine

Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm not sure how bad the fairings are but I know they are on the bike so they must be fixable
Check them to make sure they all bolt up properly, check for large cracks or what not. If they seem secure, and don't look completely destroyed and like crap, 1500 is reasonable. If the fairings look bad and dont bolt up well and wiggle around, id offer less.

Quick Reply: 1992 cbr good buy?