CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Why did my bike die?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my bike die?

The other day I turned a corner coming up to a traffic light. The bike started to bogg down and really didn't want to run. I got to the red light and the bike died. It wouldn't start for a good while. I tried choking it and fuel and everything. It didn't want to start. It finally started just as the light turned green. I pulled into a parking lot and checked to make sure I could go on. The bike was fine for the rest of the day. Why did it stall and why did it bogg down? What can I do?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: Why did my bike die?

did you run out of gas?

Old 10-26-2006, 06:21 PM

I don't think so. I was near a station so I did fill up, but I had gas. I could hear it when I checked. I have rode with less fuel, so I don't think it was that.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:36 PM

i have come across this problem twice whilst riding and both times have had nearly a full tank of fuel. people have told me it may have just been dirt in my engine but surely it shouldnt happen more than once should it?what can we do to stop it from happening again? this could cause a major accident!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imagine this problem happening on a very busy, crowded, and fast Los Angeles freeway. this happened to me twice as i was caught out in the far left and had to make my way right to the shoulder with 80+ mph cars going around you and 18 wheelers bearing down on a little bike.

we know for a fact you have fuel in the tank, but do you have fuel going to the rest of the system.

now for the questions?

you have gas, but does the gas flow freely?

did you check to see if the fuel filter is clogged?

did you check the fuel pump? reason is that if the fuel pump is going bad, then it will start to hiccup or not work at all thus no fuel going to the carbs. the fuel line should vibrate from the fuel pump pulsing.

are your carbs clean?

do you get spark?

now, if you were sitting at the side of the road and had to wait a few minutes for the bike to start, my guess would be that the carbs were empty. did you notice if the rpm's were fluctuating wildly as if the bike is about to stall, but would pick up again, and go into a stall right after. that for me is usually a sign that the engine is not getting gas, and is starting to burn fumes. kinda like running completely empty.

next time this happens, pull over to a safe spot, remove the left side rear fairing to expose the fuel line, pump, and filter. look at the fuel line and see if there is any fuel showing, is there any fuel after the filter, if not, filter may be clogged.

if above is okay, now, try to start the bike again, feel if the pump is pulsing, like it is trying to pump fuel. if it does not pulse, then fuel pump is going bad or is bad, or bad wiring.

if the pump pulses and fuel is getting to the carb, then you may have an electrical problem with spark.

let us know what you find.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:00 PM

This could also be a result of engine flooding. It is possible that a float is getting stuck. That's why when you come to a stop, the engine gets boggy. It is getting too much fuel. Just an idea.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 PM

another idea -> side stand sensor . . .

I had this problem with my bike, I would be riding and whenever I got on it hard the engine would just die. or sometimes even randomly.
Turns out that the previous owner tried to bypass the switch (sensor) by twisting the two wires together.

I unwrapped his tape job, and retwisted the wires better and retaped them.

I never had that problem again.

just an idea, and def somethin I'd check before anything else.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:56 AM

So most people say carbs? Dang it!! I don't have the time to do them myself. Dealers don't like the older bikes so I will have to find somewhere else. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most may say carbs, but look at things that you can first. look at carbs only as a last step. go through a process of elimination on things that others here have advised you to look at. you never know. even if the dealer doesn't like to touch the older stuff, they get much older stuff going in all the time.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:12 AM

will do...