CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

where to start modding..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM
gw7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start modding..

hey guys hows it goin

im pretty new here.. check out my post in the new members thread to kinda know me better if youd like

just bought a grey 88 600 Cane (its got red wheels, dont know if that was stock) and was wondering where a good place to start would be with mods. i've been modifying my car for a while now (06 focus, has intake, exhaust, yellow HID fogs, lowered 2".. the list goes on..) and although i know what im doing in the car modifying world, im clueless when it comes to modding up the Cane. cause i think she's got potetntial.. just dont know what to do as far as unleashing said potential!

so what kind of parts are out there, performance or visual? the bike is quick as sh*t already as far as im concerned and i think theres an aftermarket exhaust on it already. cause no way a stock exhaust is that fatty and loud ill post pics up in case anybody knows the brand of it! so besides exhaust, whats all out there?

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and if i sound like a 'tard, go easy, im a newbie to the cbr.

-gabe

Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM

airfilter, jetting, ignition advance
besides the exhaust, these are the only other performance mods available for these bikes.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Don't forget the braided steel brake lines to improve braking.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget about the different brand name stickers to make it go faster!!!!! No but in all honesty, theres alot you can do besides performance. Just look at my sig to see some of the mods.

Performance:
Jet Kit
Denso Plugs
Air Filter
Ignition Advance
Sprocket Changes
Add Royal Purple Purple Ice to Coolant (Proven to make your engine run at a lower operating temp)
Brighter Headlight Bulb, Or HID Kit
Seafoam the engine, these can carbon up very nicely with age.

Visuals:
Windscreen
Brake Levers
Signals
Newer or aftermarket pegs
Updated or Custom Decals
Is your seat in good condition?
Tank Pad
Hand Grips
Frame Sliders

and the list can go on and on.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
gw7

Originally Posted by tds94probe
dont forget about the different brand name stickers to make it go faster!!!!! No but in all honesty, theres alot you can do besides performance. Just look at my sig to see some of the mods.

Performance:
Jet Kit
Denso Plugs
Air Filter
Ignition Advance
Sprocket Changes
Add Royal Purple Purple Ice to Coolant (Proven to make your engine run at a lower operating temp)
Brighter Headlight Bulb, Or HID Kit
Seafoam the engine, these can carbon up very nicely with age.

Visuals:
Windscreen
Brake Levers
Signals
Newer or aftermarket pegs
Updated or Custom Decals
Is your seat in good condition?
Tank Pad
Hand Grips
Frame Sliders

and the list can go on and on.
thanks for the nice long list! any one of those could be good for a start.

some more questions though! lol

what kind of gains can i expect out of some of those performance mods? (talking HP and TQ)
anything noticeable or should i just not even bother?

and can somebody maybe toss up a couple website names that are good for our bikes? sorry again for the noobness!

-gabe

Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Is this your 1st bike?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
gw7

first bike i bought myself, im only 18 and new to modding bikes. previously i have ridden my dads moto guzzi sp1000 and uncles nighthawk 650

-gabe

Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Modding a bike can get very expensive fast so unless you want to easily spend 2000 dollars with little noticable improvement or value to your bike you need to identify what is important to you, looks, ridability or power.

Power is the hardest to get and cost the most. Since your only 18 and learning to ride you probably won't be happy on this bike for long. I know this is a general statement and I don't know you but the newness will wear off quickly (I am glad I have something to ride) and you will want a newer bike. Learn how to ride, save you money for a new bike in the future. Go on ebay and buy the DVD - Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code. It will be the best 35.00 you spend on learning how to ride.

Ridability - shorty levers, braided brake lines, new pilot road 2 tires, upgraded brake pads, changing sprockets and chain - going with -1 on the front and +2 on the back, different windscreens are not just for looks. I have stock screens on my CBR and VFR because Double bubbles shoot the air at the bottom of my helmet and causes head shake.

Looks - self explainatory.

If it was my money, I would get new tires first, unless they are in good condition and not old rubber, add shorty levers because I love them and get a new chain and sprockets -1 +2. The new sprocket set up will give a noticeable pull down low. Although it doesn't add horsepower it will give you the best bang for your buck.
Tom

Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
gw7

Originally Posted by tanrush
Modding a bike can get very expensive fast so unless you want to easily spend 2000 dollars with little noticable improvement or value to your bike you need to identify what is important to you, looks, ridability or power.

Power is the hardest to get and cost the most. Since your only 18 and learning to ride you probably won't be happy on this bike for long. I know this is a general statement and I don't know you but the newness will wear off quickly (I am glad I have something to ride) and you will want a newer bike. Learn how to ride, save you money for a new bike in the future. Go on ebay and buy the DVD - Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code. It will be the best 35.00 you spend on learning how to ride.

Ridability - shorty levers, braided brake lines, new pilot road 2 tires, upgraded brake pads, changing sprockets and chain - going with -1 on the front and +2 on the back, different windscreens are not just for looks. I have stock screens on my CBR and VFR because Double bubbles shoot the air at the bottom of my helmet and causes head shake.

Looks - self explainatory.

If it was my money, I would get new tires first, unless they are in good condition and not old rubber, add shorty levers because I love them and get a new chain and sprockets -1 +2. The new sprocket set up will give a noticeable pull down low. Although it doesn't add horsepower it will give you the best bang for your buck.
Tom
thanks for the advice tom! yea i think ill stay away from engine mods for the most part..

as far as tires go, they have plenty-o-tread, and are only a few months old =]

what are some good websites to look at for:
windscreens
handle grips
shorty levers
chain/sprocket combo?

thanks everyone!

-gabe (sportbike newbie)
^^

Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Hi Gabe,
My favorite site for everything is EBAY. I always go there first. Do a search for CBR chain and sprocket kit. Search from lowest price / with shipping that way you will get the best deal.

I like D2moto.com also for some generic items. They are having a winter sale with 40 percent off. Just use the code WS40 when you check out.

My shorty levers are from Hong Kong from ebay for about 55.00 shipped.
In order to get a new chain sprocket combo you will need to do a little research to see what the stock ones are for a 88 600(how many teeth they have and the number of links in your chain) You should probably search some of the chain threads to help you determine what you want to do. Personally on my CBR I changed the chain from 525 pitch to 520 pitch and went -1 on the front sprocket kept the rear stock (steel, not alumimum) because I didn't want a wheelie machine or to increase my rpm's too much at highway speeds. It works for me.
Hope that helps
Tom

Quick Reply: where to start modding..