CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Well here it is !

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well here it is !

Hurricane SF project 90% finished, really it's been my ebay project bike!!

I still need a good tank and a more agressive rear tire.

It turned out to be a really nice day here in St. Louis, so I ran home at lunch and rode the cane back to work.

It's my first run on the cane and she has decent low through the gears and I am really pleased with the low end, but when I get up to 60 mph and cruising she boggs a little when I roll on the gas, I will have to check into that. anyway here are the pics.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=MVC-006F.jpg

Old 11-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Well here it is !

i bet the bogging down is cause of the open intake. check out diechrome's thread about his streetfighter.

https://cbrforum.com/m_141300/tm.htm

Old 11-09-2006, 05:34 PM

nice, especially where the frame sliders are located. they can double as highway pegs.

what is wrong with the tank?

Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 PM

the fuel tank has a few dents on the left side and it's sun faded.

The frame sliders I made out of 2in OD pipe, I used a 2 in hole saw and cut the ends out of 1/8 in steel I had laying around the garage, they turned out pretty good and the position works well for highway pegs.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

i bet the bogging down is cause of the open intake. check out diechrome's thread about his streetfighter.

https://cbrforum.com/m_141300/tm.htm
interesting, I checked out diecrome's thread and I will give it a try. I removed the 2 snorkes from the airbox to make room for the wiring harnes so the airbox has the 2 holes in front to suck in air.

Thinking out load here, I wonder if closing the 2 front air intake holes with tape and boring the same size hole in the air box lid would slow down the enough, hmmmm.

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:10 PM

High speed power loss problem and solution!!!!

First off, thanks for every ones input to my problem and your link to Diecromes post, it was a big help!!

Originally, in my SF project I had some restrictions on the wire harness do to the elimination of the front and side fairings.

I used the left air inlet through the frame to run the wire loom from the speedometer and lights to the main wire harness, so I tucked the main wire harness behind the radiator fill cap and in front of the carb’s air boxes.

Hey I figured this would be a good place to stash the wire harness up and out of the way from the motors heat and away from any excess rain / water in wet riding conditions. So off came the air box inlet snorkels to make room for the wire harness.

So basically the setup I had was the stock air box minus the 2 snorkels.

The Cane ran great until top gear was hit and the bike was cruising around 60 mph, she fell flat on her face, no power, the motor bogged until lower speeds were achieved and the revs climbed back up only to lose power again at speed.

So I posted my problem here on the forum and Diecrome had an interesting solution.

He used tape to cover 1/2 of the intake holes on the 600 and this corrected his problem. The problem was, he did not explain which holes he covered, the air box or the frames inlet holes.

So I got to thinking….

I removed the tank and I reinstalled the stock air box snorkels, but there was a problem, the stock length of the snorkel from the air box to the frame interfered with the wire harness.

The stock air box snorkels have several exterior support or structure lines molded onto the snorkels to prevent collapse from suction of air into the carbs.

Starting at the frame end of the snorkel I removed 1 section of rubber snorkel at a time using a razor knife until I was able to fit the snorkel securely on the air box and in between the wire harness.

Basically I removed 2 sections of rubber from each end of each snorkel and reinstalled them onto the air box.

This corrected my high speed power loss, she runs great, Big smile !

As Diecrome suggested in his post it appears that the force or rush of air at speed on the Hurricane throws off the air pressure in the air box and some type of restriction is needed to equalize the air pressure on the Cane carbs.

Hmmmmm, you learn something new every day!

Sorry for rambling. John

Old 11-13-2006, 04:57 PM

it's only rambling if there is no point being made.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:59 PM

SIRR1 you should post up some pictures so I know exactly what you did. I really don't like the tape covering the intake holes and I was trying to figure out another easy alternative. Let me know

Old 11-14-2006, 03:58 PM

Diecrome, pic's tommorrow!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 AM

Well funny you should mention duct tape on intake holes(personally I don't like disassembling farings and such) cus My friends brothers baby momma used two round pieces of plastic with holes cut in it(like a salt shaker) and super glued them to TOP of the intake holes, it works!! First he put 3 big ones but then made like 10 small ones that look and i guess work better. personally I would not be taking things of my bike that belong there....but that's my bike! hope it works