CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Throttle/Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle/Idle issues

Hello everyone i had a couple questions, I just changed the plugs on my 600 cane and when i went to fire it up for the first time after changing them it backfired a couple times and finally got it running but it seemed like it was idled way do so i adjusted it to around 1500 rpm and seemed to idle fine after that but when i go to rev it up it hesitates a lil and then when it hits about 2k on the way down it stays for a sec then drops back to 1500 rpm.. not sure whats causing this?...

Also i changed the plugs because from idle to about 3k it would stutter but after 3k it was just fine.... Thanks for any help everyone!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by C-Kan
Hello everyone i had a couple questions, I just changed the plugs on my 600 cane and when i went to fire it up for the first time after changing them it backfired a couple times and finally got it running but it seemed like it was idled way do so i adjusted it to around 1500 rpm and seemed to idle fine after that but when i go to rev it up it hesitates a lil and then when it hits about 2k on the way down it stays for a sec then drops back to 1500 rpm.. not sure whats causing this?...

Also i changed the plugs because from idle to about 3k it would stutter but after 3k it was just fine.... Thanks for any help everyone!
UPDATE:
I checked the air filter its brand new also checked the fuel filter its still good. So i took the bike out for a short ride to get it warmed up and see how it ran, but the whole time it acted like it had no power at all and still hesitates when given throttle and even i had even given it full throttle and it barely if any pushed me back any... All of this started after i put new plugs in and they are the right plugs for the bike, so i am still not sure what is going on with it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you gap the plugs before installing them?
Also, I'm not sure if it is a problem on these CBRs, but on my old ninja, you had to watch for the plugs you used. If you used resistor plugs with the stock suppressor caps, you'd get almost no spark. Basically doubling your resistance. Not sure if these bikes use suppression caps...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Did you gap the plugs before installing them?
Also, I'm not sure if it is a problem on these CBRs, but on my old ninja, you had to watch for the plugs you used. If you used resistor plugs with the stock suppressor caps, you'd get almost no spark. Basically doubling your resistance. Not sure if these bikes use suppression caps...
I did not gap them reason for that i had been looking around to find out what size socket i needed for them and found a thread somewhere and they were saying that just out of the box worked fine and did not need gap.

I did check to make sure that all the plug wires were pressed down all the way on the spark plugs several times and then just had a wild though of putting the old plugs back in and seeing if it would return to how it was running previously but no luck it ran just like it did when i put the new plugs in. So i guess would the next step would be to replace the old wires? Also when i try to rev it from an idle it sounds like it is sucking alot of air, forgot to mention that earlier.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Are you sure the plug wires are routed to the correct cylinders? If it is running substantially worse after just changing the plugs I would suspect something was left disconnected or the plug wires are routed incorrectly.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TahoeRider
Are you sure the plug wires are routed to the correct cylinders? If it is running substantially worse after just changing the plugs I would suspect something was left disconnected or the plug wires are routed incorrectly.
It could be possible that i have them in the wrong spots but i was sure that i had kept them in spots to where i knew i would put them back into the right spots but at the moment i don't have anything that would show me if i have them in the correct spots.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM

You can download the service manual from the sticky on the 600F forum page, it should have the info in there somewhere for the routing.

Did it run okay before the plugs were changed?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM

It just had a what sounded like a little stutter from idle to around 3k but if you would roll the throttle it would rev just fine other then that it ran great until i changed the plug and like i said now it has no power and barely revs and i have been having touble with downloading the service manual i think its my internet connection i keep getting a network error. But i think i found an old post on here that someone has the order of the plugs and found a pic of a wire diagram. Thank you for all the help and i will keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C-Kan
I did not gap them reason for that i had been looking around to find out what size socket i needed for them and found a thread somewhere and they were saying that just out of the box worked fine and did not need gap.

I did check to make sure that all the plug wires were pressed down all the way on the spark plugs several times and then just had a wild though of putting the old plugs back in and seeing if it would return to how it was running previously but no luck it ran just like it did when i put the new plugs in. So i guess would the next step would be to replace the old wires? Also when i try to rev it from an idle it sounds like it is sucking alot of air, forgot to mention that earlier.
What exact model of plug did you use? IIRC, NGK DPR8EA-9 is what I used. They came with a gap within factory tolerance. The plug wires SHOULD have the cylinders numbers labelled on them. FYI the left most cylinder is 1, rightmost is 4.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
What exact model of plug did you use? IIRC, NGK DPR8EA-9 is what I used. They came with a gap within factory tolerance. The plug wires SHOULD have the cylinders numbers labelled on them. FYI the left most cylinder is 1, rightmost is 4.
i used the ones recommended on the sticker on the frame of the bike which is the NGK DRP8EA-9 and i will have to take a look at the wires closer when i get out there later. And thanks for the tip on the cylinder numbers i wasnt quite sure how they were set up.

Quick Reply: Throttle/Idle issues