CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light

The problem is my tail light is flashing back and forth between the 2 bulbs. Has anyone else seen or know how to fix this problem?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tail Light

When you are on the brake, or all the time?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 PM

All of the time.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:28 AM

You gotta be a little more descriptive, dude.

Is it when the engine is running or just when the key is on, or both?

What happens when you hit the Front Brake? Rear Brake?

Do the rear turn signals work?

Did it work before and this is a new problem, or has it always been this way?

Maybe try to explain and give us as much info as you can, and it'll happen a lot faster that way. Just think if someone made a post "Bike won't run. WTF?"

Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM

It is all the time. When the bike is running, driving whenever the tail light would normally be on it does it, ie running or in the "on" position. When either brake is applied they get brighter and go solid. I recently aquired the bike and they have done that as long as I have had it. Every other light system works fine turn signals, hi and low beams, everything.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Is it an even- on-off thing or just random?

I think you could start by taking off your rear behind the seat cowl and getting into the connectors where the taillight and rear turn signals meet the harness. Undo the connectors from the harness spade connectors and clean everything up with contact cleaner, and make sure nothing's broken. Also get in the brake light assembly and remove the bulbs and clean the crap out of the bulb sockets and maybe get some new bulbs. It's surprising what 20 years can do, especially with electrical connections.

When you got it all back together, make sure the Ground (GRN) is working for your tail lights. Wiggle the harness a little bit and see if it changes, anything, too.

If you make sure the connections are good back there, then you can assume the problem is further up the harness, and not quite as easy.

Also, this may help:
http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...%20Diagram.jpg

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM

If the brake light is solid and not flashing, you can more than likely isolate it to just the tail light connection. You may also be surprised to find a hacked up tail harness, I know I was when my tail light stopped working.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It could also be one of those "vision enchancer" products, designed to flash your lights all the time so it's harder to miss the bike. I've seen a lot of bmw's with them on the headlight and tailights.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Good point, it very well might be. Or maybe something like an integrator kit, either mis-wired, or going bad.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 PM

Someone had installed a"safety coupler" underneath the rear seat on that little tray that causes both rear turn signals to light up whenever the brakes are applied. I have never had a problem with it and it seems to have been professionally installed ( and still works ). Your case could be something similar or as previously stated, some boob has hacked into it and did not know what they were doing. So are you saying that your brake light looks like a Cylon all the time.... by your command... L,R,L,R until you apply the brake. If everything works OK then what is the problem? Do you just not like the fact that it alternates while you ride.... just curious. Remember if it isn't broke....

Quick Reply: Tail Light