CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

stutter in the mid range

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stutter in the mid range

Ok so ive had the bike a few months now. Got it with a blown head gasket, now when i get on it its fine up to around 5k sometimes 7k then it has this horrible sharp stutter and sometimes it catches and takes of almost pulling the front wheel off the ground. I've gone threw the carb a few times, all that's left is to sync them ive just got to get the adapters for the vacuum port. So does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM

Did you pull the pilot screws out and clean them? Also Ern told me to check all the wire connectors and put dielectric grease on them.
I just went through this with my F4. Try running some SeaFoam in the fuel. That may help also. I would put a half of a can to a tank of fuel to try and clean the fuel system.
Good luck.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's an after-market exhaust, it may need to be re-jetted. It's pretty common with
that type modification. If you post year/model and type of exhaust, one of the guru's
may be able to recommend what type of change you could be looking for.

Checking fuel-filter and pet-**** filters is a reach, but a worthwhile endeavour.

As slowride mentioned, I always advocate a through inspection/cleaning/packing of
the harness, it might not fix the problem, either, but is never time wasted.

Good luck, Ern

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM

I ran seafoam and cleaned every little hole when I cleaned the carbs. Ill check all the connections and clean them no matter how they look. As far as exhaust it is an aftermarket eshaust but I'm not sure what its from ill take a picture in the morning when I get home from work. Gotta love the night shift. If the exhaust is the issue would it be better to just go back to stock if I can find one? I really Dnt like the one that is on it. Its way to short and my foot sits on it instead of the peg

Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 AM

To start with, if ya'll dis-agree with the following post and feel compelled to respond...
Leave the feelings at home and defend your view with a well-reasoned response, that's pertinent to 93's query.

Personally, I prefer stock for the can. The factory puts a lot of money/research/testing
into assuring that the entire package is tuned to operate together. I sit firmly on the
side of the fence that says loud is lame and should be a track-only type mod.

I can understand the impulse, just don't subscribe to it. I actually spent the bucks to
restore my entire exhaust back to OEM after buying my 98F3 last year (it had a CF D&D).
Doing so, in my case, restored the mid-range since the PO had pretty much just slapped
it on. If you DO change up the exhaust, it requires an experienced mechanic who can
re-tune the bike. Other-wise, you're just doing an eye/ear candy mod.

Ern

Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 AM

ok so after speaking with the PO he was never able to get it to rev past 7k either, as far as i know the exhaust i have on there is the only one he had also. so as promised here is a picture of the exhaust, also is a picture of my .60 cent frame sliders i built at work, im a little worried they are a little long though i couldnt find an exact answer as for length so i cut them at 5"

Last edited by 93etgocart; 02-29-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM

try to radius the shoulders on your sliders. You don't want them to dig into the pavement.
That might cause the bike to tumble, defeating the purpose.

I would check the lines of the bike. ie straight lines between tips of bars, exhaust,
whatever the contact points for the bike would have laying down on it's side.

Grab some string and tape it to the tip of the bar and one off the rear contact point.
Pull them tight and then towards the side of the bike along the slider. When they touch
the fairing mark the length on the slider. Do both strings and then go a little longer then
the longest mark. Trim it there if needed. Doing that will assure that the slider is long
enough for the mounting point you have selected, but no longer.

You're post is in older model 600f's but you don't mention the specific year/model.
Throw that up and I can tell if the exhaust is stock, with a little research. Or, maybe someone else will have the skinny.

Ern

Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM

replace the air and fuel filter. then get the carbs rebuilt. i had the same problem and the air and fuel filter made a WORLD of difference

Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Oh ya Sry its a 88 600. Could you maybe get a picture of what your talking about for the sliders? I think I understand but not quite sure. I planned on making them more rounded at the end but I ran out of time at work and I've only got a dremel at home and that pipe is over a 1/4" thick so doing it with a dremel would take forever

Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 AM

ok so good news i got it running a little better it doesn't stutter as bad on hard acceleration, i changed the air/fuel mixture screw to the recommended 2.5 turns out. Those caps are a b***h to get off. i also re-synced the carb with a feeler gauge just to get it closer till i get those adapters, does anyone know where to get the adapters and what i need? I also tore apart the spare motor i got from the guy i bought the bike from and everything looks good except the bad rings left the casing scared up alot but nothing major. I plan on rebuilding it slowly over the summer while ive got overtime out the wazzoo. also the muffler says titanium on it if that helps

Last edited by 93etgocart; 03-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: stutter in the mid range