CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Stock shock is only one that fits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock shock is only one that fits?

Hello guys,

Got my bike after a deer decided it might be fun to run into it...

Needless to say there were a few things messed up, but all of that works except for the rear shock. If you sit on the bike, it will "squat down" a little bit (note: LITTLE) the shock has no travel left and I am shopping for a new one. I've done about 30 searches using different words etc, but cannot seem to find ANYONE who has put a "newer" shock in. I really don't want to buy another shock on ebay that a guy says, "seems to work ok" only to get another screwed up one. If I missed finding it during the search, let me know where I can find that. Any information is helpful. Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but..... I seem to recall threads of people trying to put rr shocks on older bikes. I vaguely remember that the rr shock is too soft. The rr geometry is different, requiring a softer shock. You are probably best served to put a shock on that is meant for it. Hopefully someone with experience on the f bikes chimes in...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Anything that was once available new in the aftermarket has long since been discontinued, but there are probably still some floating around out there somewhere. I was lucky enough to find a Fox twin clicker on Ebay a couple years ago made for the F1. I believe there was another company making an upgraded shock as well, but can't remember who it was.

I have seen an F2/F3 shock & linkage installed on a F1 before, but it's not a bolt in deal. The shock is longer so you have to modify (shorten) the dog bone linkage to make the ride height correct. Not a big deal for a welding/fab shop to take care of once you know how much material to remove. You also have to make some spacers for the lower part of the linkage since it's narrower than the F1 linkage where it connects to the swingarm.

I was going to try this conversion, but found the twin clicker before I got started so I don't have any personal experience with it.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I've seen those threads of the fox shock, a progressive shock and then the high end shocks (racing applications pretty much out of the "average" guys budget)

I ended up getting another stock shock already from ebay. Just a bummer there isn't any rebuild kit available or anything.

Luckily, I'm only 160lbs so I don't wear them out as quickly...