CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Splitting carbs on an 89 CBR600

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitting carbs on an 89 CBR600

Hi,

I have the haynes and the service manual, that show what to do to clean the carbs once split, but to actually break them apart its a bit vague. Does anyone know how do it? .. My issue is that one of the T-pieces for fuel intake has popped its O rings and is leaking, so need to split the last carb off to replace the O rings.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can take an outside carb off by itself by loosening the screw that holds the choke link on the choke arm and then unscrewing the two top screws on the stamped metal rail. If it's on the idle adjuster side you will need to remove the screws that hold that on also.

If the carbs have not been cleaned I would do that since you have them off the bike. If you had one o-ring fail they all should probably be replaced.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:06 AM

Hi Dennis.. Cheers for the tips! yeah i need to remove both outside ones as i seem to have 2 inlet fuel pipes and a massive breather in the middle going to some black box that looks like it had a filter in it at one point.

The prob started when i took the carbs off for a clean. Ive cleaned them but when i put them back the bike didnt start due to fuel starvation.. so took them off again and adjusted floats... bike started first push and sounded strong! but then i saw fuel dripping everywhere! it was disturbing the carbs after all this time that i think broke the o ring... so hopefully some new o rings and reseal the bowls as they leaked a bit, then hit the road!

Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM

does anyone know the size of the O ring that goes on the fuel linkage pipes (T-Pieces) between the carbs? .. so i can buy them from the local parts guy before i split them apart and can fix it faster.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by courior
Hi Dennis.. Cheers for the tips! yeah i need to remove both outside ones as i seem to have 2 inlet fuel pipes and a massive breather in the middle going to some black box that looks like it had a filter in it at one point.

This doesn't make sense. The black box with the filter should hook to the bottom of the air box not the carbs. There should only be one fuel inlet in the middle of the carbs. Take a picture of this and post it here. You may have Cali spec carbs.

Take one of the O-rings with you to see if you can match them. I have part numbers for them at the shop but won't be there until the weekend.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:08 PM

I think I have the 1990 carbs.. I've been reading they are a little bigger and have 2 fuel inlets between 1+2 and 3+4. I'll take some pics later. I'm in Europe so don't think they are US carbs of any sort but a bike this old u never know!

Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Here is a pic of the carbs. The short pipe on the left and the long one on the right connect to the 2 t pieces and then to another t piece that is then connected by a large pipe to the pump. The black box thing in the middle connects to a large breather pipe that t pieces between 2 and 3.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 PM

More pics to show clearly how they are.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:23 PM

Those are nothing like USA carbs. Ours have straight through fuel pipes where your tees are and a single tee in the middle of carbs 2 & 3.

The black box is the EGR valve. On USA that is located up front below the frame neck with 2 hoses that connect to the bottom of the air box.

Later CBR's had the dual fuel lines...never seen an F1 like this. I have a 1990 and it is not like this.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:12 AM

Hi.. Sorry for the lack of response.. The black thing has nothing connected to it, and from the parts diagrams i have it should contain a filter element. I might re-route this to take air from the air box, which might help with air pressures as its been fightered. I managed to split the carbs and its soooooo easy its ridiculous... If anyone is reading this for the information, all you need to do is remove the big metal plate that the airbox bolts to, then remove the choke mechanism, and then the screws at the front for the front bracket. 4 screws and the choke mechanism are all that holds each carb together. The throttle linkage is just push fit! Just watch out for the big and small spring that might boing out!

Quick Reply: Splitting carbs on an 89 CBR600