CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Speed Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Wobble

I have an 89 that was sitting for about 15 years. Got it running last fall and all is well except a slight speed wobble. It seems that the bars are unstable when riding all the time, but gets worse in a turn. This is very controlable, but makes me nervous. I wasn't sure what was going on at first, but let go of the bars running about 40 mph and they went into a slight but steady wobble. The original tires are on the bike, the forks have never been touched, and there is no air pressure in either fork. I am running 38 psi in both front and back tires. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?? I have had several bikes over the years, but none ever did this.

Joe

Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Speed Wobble

I would probably get new rubber put on the bike just for safety reasons they are shot if they have been sitting for 15 years. The front rotors may be slightly bent which can cause the front to shake or it just may be that the wheel needs to be balance properly.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:01 PM

My hurricane did the same thing........some tires are better than others. A tire has harmonic balance....as does a bike chassis.......some simply dont match. At that point a different brand of tire will likely fix that problem. Like Triax said.....new tires are in order......and balance them. You'll be good. If all esle fails......a call to Ohlins will fix you up. LOL Or GPR.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info, going to order a set of Michelin Pilot Roads, 110/70/17 - 150/70/17. Will see if that fixes the problem. If anyone has any other thoughts, I will take them. As far as the rotors, The bike only has 7000 miles on it with original tires. the rotors look good, so my first try will be tires.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 PM

First off.....the Pilot Roads are a radial.........your bike needs bias ply. Sucks man, but it's the nature of the beast. The same size radial tire needs a larger rim than a bias........your rims are too narrow. A 150 radial will not fit.......and if you CAN shoe horn it on......it'll mess up the profile so bad it wont work right.

Get some Dunlop GT501's. I had them on my Hurricane.....very good tires.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 AM

OK, I have been running the original tires all summer. I am making one last attemp to get everyones opinion on another tire. I called/emailed all companies that supplied the size of tire in Bias-Ply for my 89. The company that seemed to be on track with the bike was AVON. They upgraded the Azaro-ST to the Storm, but did not continue the sizes. The engineers fought with the sales people and kept the Azaro ST in 110-80-17 and the 140-80-17. These seem to be a better rated tire the most the others, and they look super cool (always a plus). Opinions anyone?? I have not seen this tires brought up.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

First off.....the Pilot Roads are a radial.........your bike needs bias ply. Sucks man, but it's the nature of the beast. The same size radial tire needs a larger rim than a bias........your rims are too narrow. A 150 radial will not fit.......and if you CAN shoe horn it on......it'll mess up the profile so bad it wont work right.

I amnot tryingto sound like a jerk here butradial tires workvery very wellon the Hurricane!

I have been running Avons Venomsfor well over a year now, 140 out back and a 110 up front and by far it has been the best single
up grade I have made on this oldmotorcycle.

They ride smooth and quite and stick like glue in the corners!

The Avons are unbeatable in wet weather and I prefere the satisfaction of knowing I will get the proformance I need when
running hard in the twisties or coming to a stop in wet weather.

The 140's fit perfect inside the OEMrear tire hugger and give a realgreat look from the *** end.

You are correct, don't go bigger than a 140 on the rearor the tire will crown and you will loose or diminish the size of the
working contact patch between the pavement and the tire and thats just asking for trouble, sometimes bigger is not better!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SIRR1

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

I amnot tryingto sound like a jerk here butradial tires workvery very wellon the Hurricane!

I have been running Avons Venomsfor well over a year now, 140 out back and a 110 up front and by far it has been the best single
up grade I have made on this oldmotorcycle.

They ride smooth and quite and stick like glue in the corners!

The Avons are unbeatable in wet weather and I prefere the satisfaction of knowing I will get the proformance I need when
running hard in the twisties or coming to a stop in wet weather.

The 140's fit perfect inside the OEMrear tire hugger and give a realgreat look from the *** end.

You are correct, don't go bigger than a 140 on the rearor the tire will crown and you will loose or diminish the size of the
working contact patch between the pavement and the tire and thats just asking for trouble, sometimes bigger is not better!
Funny, I'm running Continental Road Attacks in 150/70 and 120/65 on my'cane and the thing screams through corners.... Rock solid, too.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 AM

Why is everyone so obsessed with the big tires? I have ridden street and track on 140/70 & 110/80
Dunlop k591's. Unless you are one helluva rider you will never approach the limits of a Hurricane on stock sized tires. I never have but had a lot of fun trying. Enjoy your ride!!! I've had mine since 1989.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM

To all the comments, thanks for your information. I did go with the Avon Azaro's, 110/80/17 , 140/80/17, and they are SWEET! Only got a couple hundred miles on them, and they have cured all the handling woes of the bike.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Speed Wobble