CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Sparks coming from exhaust! 600F1

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Mattson
You should see a fairly intact perforated pipe going all the way through. It usually starts to rust and burn near the weld seam that connects it to the front end piece. As said give it a tap and see if stuff drops out or if you hear rattling from the inside. There always is some soot buildup in the pipe but if it looks excessive or there is lumps of it in there your air/fuel mix is way too rich or some other reason why all is not burning (oil leak)
No rattling and very very little soot like a pinch but as you said looks a bit burnt and yes I think I do have a a slight gasket leak from the left side of the motor.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left side outside of the motor? I meant more in the way of valve stem seals or piston rings, an external oil leak will not affect the insides of the exhaust. But if the sooting is minor then it's perfectly within normal spec.

Nevertheless SOMETHING is burning that shouldn't but I'm still leaning towards soot that has come loose or a leaking seal between the pipe and the muffler that causes the change in the running sound.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
Left side outside of the motor? I meant more in the way of valve stem seals or piston rings, an external oil leak will not affect the insides of the exhaust. But if the sooting is minor then it's perfectly within normal spec.

Nevertheless SOMETHING is burning that shouldn't but I'm still leaning towards soot that has come loose or a leaking seal between the pipe and the muffler that causes the change in the running sound.
That makes more sense lol I don't know much and learning as I go. So what would I do next? a compression test? what steps do I take to do it properly if so?

Last edited by Mynor Corona; 11-28-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mynor Corona
That makes more sense lol I don't know much and learning as I go. So what would I do next? a compression test? what steps do I take to do it properly if so?

Black soot is okay. If nothing that looked like rusted metal came out then the pipe might be okay. The baffle is a tube with holes in it that you should see when you look in the pipe.

Explain the oil leak issue a little more. How much oil is coming out? This is not normal with a Honda engine they are usually pretty tight and don't leak. How many miles on this bike?

Pull the plugs one at a time and look at them. I say to do it one at a time so you don't get confused about which wire goes where. Assuming that you are just learning so this is the easiest way to keep track. You are looking for a difference in the plugs. Report back with what you see. If there is a difference take pictures and post them. This can tell a lot about how the engine is running and if there is a problem.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Default removing radiator.

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Black soot is okay. If nothing that looked like rusted metal came out then the pipe might be okay. The baffle is a tube with holes in it that you should see when you look in the pipe.

Explain the oil leak issue a little more. How much oil is coming out? This is not normal with a Honda engine they are usually pretty tight and don't leak. How many miles on this bike?

Pull the plugs one at a time and look at them. I say to do it one at a time so you don't get confused about which wire goes where. Assuming that you are just learning so this is the easiest way to keep track. You are looking for a difference in the plugs. Report back with what you see. If there is a difference take pictures and post them. This can tell a lot about how the engine is running and if there is a problem.
Would it be easier to do this with the radiator out of the way? or what do you think is the easiest based on experience. the manual is kinda vague for someone new like me. Or the most obvious, I just dont know how to read it correctly lol

Old 11-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mynor Corona
Would it be easier to do this with the radiator out of the way? or what do you think is the easiest based on experience. the manual is kinda vague for someone new like me. Or the most obvious, I just dont know how to read it correctly lol

Shut the fuel petcock off and take the fuel line off. Remove the gas tank. Then you should be able to get to the plugs. You can loosen the bolts on the radiator to get more access but not necessary. Don't take the radiator off...way more work than you need to do.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:54 PM

Ok sounds great I will do it as soon as I wake up!