CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Sparks coming from exhaust! 600F1

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mynor Corona
It's actual spark. I'm ordering a voltmeter tonight to do further (self) diagnostic testing lol. Um but yeah it was actual firing type of sparks not metal on metal sparks. I tried to turn her over today but nothing happened. she seems like she's really trying though.

Did you look in the pipe? Why are you ordering a voltmeter? People are trying to help you, but you are not following thru and answering the questions...

Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordering because on another forum I was told to check to see if the fuel pump and other stuff was working properly. I don't know how hard it is to remove the pipe and put back on. any tips ? Haven't had the time to look into yet. I did answer the questions with what I've done so far with the time allotted. I'm sorry to all but I"m working with minimal access and time just trying my best. I'll try harder to be more thorough.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Ordering because on another forum I was told to check to see if the fuel pump and other stuff was working properly. I don't know how hard it is to remove the pipe and put back on. any tips ? Haven't had the time to look into yet. I did answer the questions with what I've done so far with the time allotted. I'm sorry to all but I"m working with minimal access and time just trying my best. I'll try harder to be more thorough.

When troubleshooting you should try to follow one potential problem and then move on to the next. It's very difficult to help you if you don't follow thru. You can look in the pipe with a flashlight without taking it off...although it's only a clamp and a bolt to take it off.

Fuel pump is way down the list of where you should be looking. Electrical issues really don't come into play until you look at the obvious things first.

Sparks coming from the exhaust while the machine was running do not indicate a fuel pump problem...or an electrical problem...at least on the front end.

"Um but yeah it was actual firing type of sparks not metal on metal sparks."

This is a very strange statement. No one here thought there was a metal to metal scraping issue. Pretty much everyone pointed to the baffles and packing burning in your exhaust. This is the first thing you should be looking at.

"I tried to turn her over today but nothing happened. she seems like she's really trying though."

I asked in an earlier post what you did to prepare the bike for the road after it was sitting. You never answered the question. The fact that the bike won't start now put's numerous questions out there...the one that I felt in your first description of what happened, was that you were running lean and burned through a piston or maybe 2 is starting to seem more logical...conclusions can only be made by following a reasonable and proper method of troubleshooting.

You can ask the same questions and give the same description on multiple forums and you will get 100 different answers which will make it impossible to figure it out. Do the simple stuff first...KISS! My suggestion is to check the pipe and if it turns out to be ok, then a compression test is in order.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
When troubleshooting you should try to follow one potential problem and then move on to the next. It's very difficult to help you if you don't follow thru. You can look in the pipe with a flashlight without taking it off...although it's only a clamp and a bolt to take it off.

Fuel pump is way down the list of where you should be looking. Electrical issues really don't come into play until you look at the obvious things first.

Sparks coming from the exhaust while the machine was running do not indicate a fuel pump problem...or an electrical problem...at least on the front end.

"Um but yeah it was actual firing type of sparks not metal on metal sparks."

This is a very strange statement. No one here thought there was a metal to metal scraping issue. Pretty much everyone pointed to the baffles and packing burning in your exhaust. This is the first thing you should be looking at.

"I tried to turn her over today but nothing happened. she seems like she's really trying though."

I asked in an earlier post what you did to prepare the bike for the road after it was sitting. You never answered the question. The fact that the bike won't start now put's numerous questions out there...the one that I felt in your first description of what happened, was that you were running lean and burned through a piston or maybe 2 is starting to seem more logical...conclusions can only be made by following a reasonable and proper method of troubleshooting.

You can ask the same questions and give the same description on multiple forums and you will get 100 different answers which will make it impossible to figure it out. Do the simple stuff first...KISS! My suggestion is to check the pipe and if it turns out to be ok, then a compression test is in order.
First let me apologize. I didn't know you were the same guy from the other post. I was told to bring my question over to this thread and tried not to continue the conversation over there to avoid the hole " asking in multiple forums" way about things. I had a lot of people coming at me all at once that was overwhelming. My statement about metal on metal was taken out of context. I didn't mean it in the sense that anyone said that it was metal on metal. I write like I speak so when I said "umm" that's me thinking in text form. I'm sorry, I'll try not to come off as insulting in the future. Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to check the pipe first in the afternoon and do as you say " a compression test" afterwards. preparing it for the road I did fuel filter, changed oil, dumped the old fuel out and placed new fuel in, swapped the rectifier and battery....

Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Not trying to come off as a jerk. That's the internet. I'm just strongly suggesting you follow the most logical and simple path. There are too many "experts" on the internet who actually have no clue what they are talking about and they will have you chasing your tail forever.

I think I said in the first post that the sparks could be caused by a number of different things...but it's important to not jump all over the place...take your time and think through it.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Not trying to come off as a jerk. That's the internet. I'm just strongly suggesting you follow the most logical and simple path. There are too many "experts" on the internet who actually have no clue what they are talking about and they will have you chasing your tail forever.

I think I said in the first post that the sparks could be caused by a number of different things...but it's important to not jump all over the place...take your time and think through it.

Thanks will do ^_^ I'm catching a ride to her soonish. I will post as soon I see. Thanks again dennis

Old 11-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Finally got the bike to my house to work on it. I removed the exhaust and seen that it looks a bit rough on the inside. a little burnt up. I can see to the other side. What am I looking for if I didn't mention what you were asking already? I was able to get a compression test kit also.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 AM

Finally got the bike to my house to work on it. I removed the exhaust and seen that it looks a bit rough on the inside. a little burnt up. I can see to the other side. What am I looking for if I didn't mention what you were asking already? I was able to get a compression test kit also.

From your description it sound like it's shot.

The first thing I would do is hold the pipe straight up and down and tap it on a concrete floor...see what comes out.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should see a fairly intact perforated pipe going all the way through. It usually starts to rust and burn near the weld seam that connects it to the front end piece. As said give it a tap and see if stuff drops out or if you hear rattling from the inside. There always is some soot buildup in the pipe but if it looks excessive or there is lumps of it in there your air/fuel mix is way too rich or some other reason why all is not burning (oil leak)

Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM

From your description it sound like it's shot.

The first thing I would do is hold the pipe straight up and down and tap it on a concrete floor...see what comes out.
Ok so I did it and only a very very little black soot looking substance came out.

Quick Reply: Sparks coming from exhaust! 600F1