CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Single sided swing arm on an old 89 hurricane?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single sided swing arm on an old 89 hurricane?

So I got an old 89 Cbr 600 hurricane and want a single sided swing arm

Is it possible? Who has done it

Only thing I'm really worried about is where the swing arm meets the frame, what other swing arm might fit in there?

And lining up the tire and drive chain
I see alot of Vfr swing arms for sale
Any specific one I should be looking for
Thanks in advance for any info
I'm also looking into other upgrades for this bike if there r any common ones

Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, suppose it can be done , but your going to have to think about spacers , shock,rear wheel ,sprockets and machining, could be a big project, dont know anyone thats done it

Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There were some F1 single sided conversion threads a while back but I can’t locate in searches.

This is a complicated conversion as I remember. The swing arm is wider than the frame at the pivot and needs to be machined down on both sides and spacers made to align the sprocket. The pivot bolt is a larger diameter. Shock mounting takes some fabrication and you need to find a correct length shock as neither the VFR or CBR shock will work with the proper height. While it looks cool it really isn’t worth the effort on an old Hurricane unless you are building a show bike.

Here is a link to a video of an F2 conversion which is close to the F1

Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 PM

Thank you for the video link! This is exactly what I've been looking for
It seems bye watching the video all he did was mill down the through bolt? And build a shock mount?
I didn't see anything about the frame itself being to wide
But I wasn't understanding what the tool he had made up was? It looked like it was a sleave for the trough bolt?
And a shock mount and that was it?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:08 AM

The F2 is wider at the pivot. My memory says the single sided swing arm needs to be machined to fit the F1. The part he made is a sleeve to fit over the thru bolt because the swing arm bolt diameter is larger. The spacer also was machined to fit the swing arm seal. He changed the shock and pivot to F3. That may be different on the F1. I seem to remember it was later year.

Last edited by dennisgb; 03-29-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 AM

I found this thread of a guy modifying an F1 to electric where he is using a VFR swing arm. He says the 94-97 VFR 750 swing arm will fit between the pivot.

Heres a link...scroll down.

Electric Hurricane - 1987 CBR600 F1 Conversion - Page 7

Old 03-29-2019, 08:00 AM

As I remember this will bolt right into the F1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Hawk-...ry!55109!US!-1

Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Well thanks for the information guys. I hope I didn't buy the wrong swing arm. Mine is off an 91 VFR 750.
😬
Getting this swing arm in the frame seems easy enough. I'll grind and sand off aluminum off each side evenly until it fits in the frame.
I will try to find a machinist to make a sleave so that the original bolt works in the VFR swing arm. I was considering just drilling out the frame so the new bolt fits in the frame but I want to keep the frame stock invade this Dosent work I can go back to original
The shock mount on top of the swingarm might be a bit tricky. I'll have to find a way to bolt a steel bracket to the swing arm.
But what I can't seem to fathom is the rear sprocket!!! IDK if I can use a stock VFR sprocket with the Cbr gearing. And it also seems to be about one inch to the left!! I'm not sure how to bring the sprocket tighter to the wheel to line up properly...

Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 AM

I think your problem is the 91 swing arm is not the right one for F1. I also wouldn’t recommend bolting shock mount to swing arm. The forces will tear it apart.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126655

sorry for linking to another forum - but this is such an amazing cbr 600 conversion, including swingarm. i do not frequent that forum. but found the thread via instagram.

swingarm work on this page https://www.svrider.com/forum/showth...=126655&page=4

this is not a single sided - but i thought the conversion was worth linking anyways

Last edited by HansNOR; 04-23-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single sided swing arm on an old 89 hurricane?