CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Should i buy this bike?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy this bike?!

hey all, im new here..and new to bikes. my buddy just bought a brand new CBR 600 F4i and ive always been interested in bikes. so i hit up the good ole Craigslist. and found this.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/1850168941.html

the guy said it ran great before the Timing chain broke. and i know from past car experiences that this could spell trouble. but thats why im here. you guys are the experts. you think its a good buy? its only 600 dollars.

how easy is it to change the timing chain?
is it expensive?
do you think it hurt the motor?

thanks in advance for any input.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Default my 2 cents worth

sounds like major trouble to me and will not be economic to repair.
I never heard of any bike break a cam chain at such low mileage either the
Bike has had major abuse or the mileage has been clocked or very probably both!
CBR 600 engines are very strong and take some breaking!
I would not buy this bike at any price!

Last edited by sulai19; 07-19-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Do it. If you don't get it running then you could always part it out and make more money. I know I would buy some parts.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 AM

I'd do it but for way less. A timing chain being blown means it probably took some valves with it. The engine might as well be considered TOAST. It could be that the CCT is dead though and he's blaming the cam chain itself... when it's really the CCT (Cam chain tensioner). That's a $50 fix!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 AM

I'd do it for about $400 or so. Thats what i would offer. Like Jesse said, He could think the timing chain is shot when it is indeed the CCT being faulty.

If it literally broke though, Jesse again is right, It most likely did take out some valves, BUT The guys listing says he has a head that goes with it, which might mean a whole assembly with valves. Then the only thing you'd have to get is a new head gasket, and chain. IF it didnt hurt the pistons.

If he's close go check it out for sure, and make him an offer.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Default my 2 cents worth cont!

I still think the guy should not buy the bike!

The guy is new to bikes and it is unlikely he will have the technical skills/expirience or heap of expensives tools such as tourque wrenchs that this project will require.
The bike will probably need some expensive new parts also eg new head gasket for starters etc etc.

My advice if you are new to bikes is to buy an inexpensive simple used bike that is running and road legal so you can just go out and enjoy riding it and start your learning curve there.
The ideal thing is probably a small air cooled single or twin with no expensive fragile body work on it because you will drop your first bike for sure!
I have recently been helping a new rider sort out a similar project to the above and the cost soon adds up of all the little bits and pieces he required to get the bike up and running.
it ended up costing far more than he could of bought a good servicable bike for in the first place.

This sort of thing could leave the guy with a very negative first impresion in my view.
I think it is to much for a beginer however good luck with the project if you do decide to go ahead with it and let us know how you get on.

I do however agree that the bike could be quite easily parted out on ebay if it all proves to much.

best of luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM

thanks everyone for the feedback. i didnt buy the bike. im still looking though. it was too sketchy for me even though i do have access to all the tools in the world (im good friends with the highschool auto shop teacher). but im still looking.