CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Just bought my first bike! *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first bike! *pic*

Hello All!

I am a proud owner of a 1989 CBR 600! The bike came with many additional parts and body panels which is great. Some of the parts include: new brake calipers, radiator, carburetor, chain, ect. and it comes with almost a full new body for the bike! (the panels are in poor condition, But i think it will be a great project to fix! the bike has 36,000 miles on it currently, which is a lot, but hopefully the bike will not give me too many problems!

Infact, the fuel pump died on me a few days ago, but amazingly enough, I had a spare one in the box of extra parts he gave me! so I swapped them out and the bike runs great again! however the engine does idle a bit sporadically, I am not sure why. as I had the bike apart to replace the fuel pump, I took a look at the carbs, and they looked very clean. just for ****s and giggles, I sprayed a bit of cleaner into them. still no luck. any ideas?

other then that, everything else seems to be running great - the only other thing I could complain about is a rattle noise coming from the bike, it does it when both in idle, and when in gear... but generally only happens in low rpms 2-4k. it is hard to describe.

I should have bought a bike a long time ago!

Here is a picture of me on my new bike!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Just bought my first bike! *pic*

congratulations Bro, bike looks to be in great shape.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ride...bodywork looks okay, like the fender.

did you try a carb sync? fresh plugs? while the plugs are out, do a compression test just to see if rings are sealing well.

as for the rattle, quite possibly cam chain. may need replacement or replace with manual cam chain tensioner.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Thanks bud.

I have not tried any of that yet. the plugs are really hard to get at! there was only one I could pull the boot out of, but I could not get the plug itself out.

Why can I find the cam chain?

and here are some more pictures!

Name:  Bikeandcar009.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  45.3 KB
Name:  NEWBIKE006.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  78.7 KB

Old 07-28-2006, 12:01 AM

does it idle right when you start the bike and then it will jump up to like 2000+ and then come back down? if so, and this is wierd, but the idle adjustment on mine has a screw and the screw does not tighten completely, so it rattles itself out while the bike is running. but will always go back down after it settles. we rigged it to stay tight and it wont jump up anymore this might be a long shot but give it a look over. and btw, my bike has 38,000 miles and she is still ripping up the highways. they do require a little TLC though, and get yourself a jacket and some gloves. and take an MSF if you have not already, it will be priceless what you learn. clean looking bike, keep it up on two! lol, good luck and be careful.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

does it idle right when you start the bike and then it will jump up to like 2000+ and then come back down? if so, and this is wierd, but the idle adjustment on mine has a screw and the screw does not tighten completely, so it rattles itself out while the bike is running. but will always go back down after it settles. we rigged it to stay tight and it wont jump up anymore this might be a long shot but give it a look over. and btw, my bike has 38,000 miles and she is still ripping up the highways. they do require a little TLC though, and get yourself a jacket and some gloves. and take an MSF if you have not already, it will be priceless what you learn. clean looking bike, keep it up on two! lol, good luck and be careful.
Hey Rasco - thanks for the help! But I am speaking about a different Idle issue. it starts up fine, but it idles funny - it generally sits at about 1k rpms, but it keeps going to 1100rpms, and back down to 1000 without me even touching the throttle. Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:59 PM

pretty much the same symtpons, just not as high revving. hrm...not really sure, but the idle should be at 1,200 not 1,000 or 1,100 anyways. You can adjust by removing the left maintenance panal and reach in towards the back of the bike, there will be a bracket with a little black ***. Try adjusting it up to 1,200 and see what it does.

Idle Adjustor is #4.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/4DB0620C37CC4088A494EC2148D62C67.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2006, 08:44 PM

oh, cool. the picture helps out a ton! I will try this out tomorrow, hopefully that solves the issue - if not then I'll just chalk it up to the bike being old. thanks again for your help!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 PM

the cam chain is located inside the middle of the engine between cylinders 2 and 3. there is an auto auto adjusting tensioner to tension the chain up. you'd have to take the valve cover off to see it. the tensioner itself is located behind the engine. you would have to take the fuel tank and air box off to see it.

as for getting to the plugs, you can either do my way to rrasco's way.

rrasco's way is just patiently getting to the plug with a regular socket and then pulling the plug out with a tube that fits over the insulator.

or my way which is to unbolt the radiator, move it out from the engine and then get to the plugs.

either way is doable.

your idle should be 1300-1500 rpm. but remember to warm the bike up before changing the idle or else your idle will be off. idle behavior is much different when the engine is cold.

when idle is set, it should be okay. on really hot days it will idle higher than what you set it at. just let the bike run up and then adjust down accordingly.

slowly adjust the idle. a quarter turn goes a long way. roll on the throttle and let the rpms settle. if still not in the area, adjust another quarter turn, roll on throttle and check tach again.

if you bottom out the idle adjustment, then you need your carbs resynced. if you feel the idle screw start to bottom, stop, or else the screw may get stuck.

btw, i've got you both beat, i have 83,000 miles on mine.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: michigan_313

btw, i've got you both beat, i have 83,000 miles on mine.
ok, now thats just insane!