CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Running rough at idle... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rough at idle... Please help

Hi all -- I've got an 89 with an interesting problem. Once the engine is warmed up, it won't hold a steady RPM. I've adjusted the valves, set the idle mixture (it's got a Kerker pipe on it, and I just opened up the airbox by removing the plastic doohickey inside the cover, hence the need to adjust the mixture) and synced the carbs, to no avail. Any suggestions or ideas what the problem may be would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Running rough at idle... Please help

sounds like you just need a jet kit

Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into the idle adjustment where it connects to the carbs. mine rattles loose and adjusts my idle while i am riding. it will fluctuate constantly.if so, replace it or rig it to hold still. i am working on a permanent fix for mine.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:29 PM

Wish I could help you man, but when it comes to my bike I am mechanically challenged, and my ex's dad is an awesome mechanic who does all of my work for almost nothing. But stick to this site, because there are a lot of members here that aren't like me and give great advice for bike maintenence.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys -- rrasco, I'll check into that tonight. By the way, the bike's got 67,000 miles on it -- could it be that the cam chain is worn out? Or maybe the cam chain tensioner? There is a very slight ticking when revving up or coming down, (especially when coming down)although it disappears at steady RPM and the thing runs like a champ above 3k rpm.

If it might be the cam chain tensioner, how do I check to see if it's still in tolerance? I can remove and replace it without too much trouble.

Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:13 AM

i do know that cbrs are notorious for cct issues, and it does involve a ticking, but i dont know the symptons it may cause. gonna have to wait for some more voices on this one. you might try posting that question in the general tech forum, may get more views.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:16 PM

I have just replaced the cam chain tensioner on my 87 cane, my bike was idling and reving up on its own when it was warmed up. The bike started ticking about 2 mins after start up and then sounded like bbs in a can shaking on the left side of the bike. I replaced the automatic with a manual tensioner, i got it off ebay for 40.00 new, once installed and tightend up i realized that when it was set right the idle needed to be turned way down. as my automatic tensioner went out i had to keep upping the idle to keep it running, it was only idling at 1500 but when i put the new tensioner in it was idleing at like 5 so the tensioner was what was wrong with mine with the same symptoms you are having.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: krnstalr

I have just replaced the cam chain tensioner on my 87 cane, my bike was idling and reving up on its own when it was warmed up. The bike started ticking about 2 mins after start up and then sounded like bbs in a can shaking on the left side of the bike. I replaced the automatic with a manual tensioner, i got it off ebay for 40.00 new, once installed and tightend up i realized that when it was set right the idle needed to be turned way down. as my automatic tensioner went out i had to keep upping the idle to keep it running, it was only idling at 1500 but when i put the new tensioner in it was idleing at like 5 so the tensioner was what was wrong with mine with the same symptoms you are having.
who did you buy it from, an ebay store?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:17 PM

Hmmmm, might be a good idea.......

Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 PM

yeah i bought mine from YeeHaaParts ebay id he has a bunch of different parts, the part shipped same day and i got withen two days of paying

Quick Reply: Running rough at idle... Please help