CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

removing broken pilot jets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing broken pilot jets?

how do you remove these damned pilot jets when the sides of the notches for the screwdriver breaks off? I've got two that are like that, one is clogged, and I cant get either one out. any help? oh yeah, if anyone has some new or really good condition 35 pilots I could use em.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Default RE: removing broken pilot jets?

Maybe a tiny easy out tool, if they make them that small. Since you're going to replace them anyway, drill out the pilot hole to fit a small easy out tool and take 'em out.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 PM

Not sure. My thought would be any damage will cause problems. If you can get a cut line in then for a flathead screw driver? If there on the way to being fecked then I'd probably consider taking the risk.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Maybe a Dremel tool with a steel cutting bit in it. You could cut in some slots for a screw driver to go in. Sometimes if you put some WD-40 on the threads and then using a small punch, beater screwdriver or chisel, tap on the portion of metal left from the old screw slots, in the loosen direction. Sometimes it comes loose.
Or get a big f**king hammer.....

Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 PM

I've tried cutting slots in the head, doesnt work because the brass is just too soft. who the hell thought brass jets was a good idea anyways? I like em steel.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM

I had a frozen carb sync screw, so i took the carbs off opened them up and let them dry out then i took a torch and heated the carb up so that i could use plyers to turned the screw out. I cant remember if the pilot jet sticks out of the carb or not. If it does this should work for you, just be carefull not to bend the jet one way or the other and try to keep the flame off of the jet itself and just heat the carb body, gas removed

Old 10-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol gas......flame......gas.......flame........

I would say get yourself some good penetrating fluid, spray it, then use a pair of vice grips clamped right on the sucker. I wouldnt try to drill and tap, most carb threads are special order taps that rannge from 125 and up. If you need pilot jets I have 4 here, i have a box of carb parts, depending on which carb it is, i may even be able to supply you with a spare carb in case you break it off inside the threads.

banging on either the carb or the jet will not work, as you know brass as well as aluminium are both extremely soft metals and you will just deform the threads most likely getting it stuck even more. or damaging the threads.

vice grips, vice grips and penetrating fluid, not wd-40, actual penetrating fluid.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 PM

In order to be able to use vise grips, they would have to be needlenose variety. are your pilots stock or not? I've got some other stuff wrong with these carburetors too, so I'm thinking I may as well replace them as a whole because of the damage, and just go from there. ya know?

Old 11-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea theyre stock pilot jets, mine were still good when i bought the second set of carbs, so i didnt need to change them, i've got pretty much spare everything.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Ultimately, I'll also need a new set of pilot screws, mine are just kinda damaged/ugly and I dont trust em much.

Quick Reply: removing broken pilot jets?