CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rear tire seems too slip in acceleration?

Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Default Rear tire seems too slip in acceleration?

I haven't been riding long so I'm still new to this and I can't figure out why my rear tire seems to slip while accelerating almost as If the chains slips for a split second

Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 PM
June 2013 ROTM

New rear tire? What size sprockets? Chain properly tensioned and lubed? Inspect your chain and sprocket for and look for abnormalities.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Like I said I'm a new rider the tire isn't new and the problem just started a week ago been riding for a month with no issues I can assume I need to lubricate the chain, what should I use?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Everyone has their own way. There are umpteen different lubes/pastes you can use. I'd recommend cleaning with either kerosene or WD40 and a rag, then using whatever lube you want on your chain. I use Castrol, but others use belray, pj1, motul, honda... I'm not going to list them all, but you get the point. I'd stay away from those pastes, they just collect crap and can actually decrease chain life.

You have to clean and lube often. Every 500 miles or so. Best to do it after a ride when the chain is warm.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 AM

It was definitely the chain it stopped doin it after I used Lucas spray chain lube, was riding to work this mornin and my chain came off :/ was able to put it back on and resume don't know it was my fault tho I was in a high gear at a low speed trying to accelerate if u understand

Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM

And by put back on u mean just using my hands to place it back on took me about 2 min but was able too it was raining outside and sidewalk was only shelter

Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Buddy - the chain should NOT come off under any circumstances during normal riding. Guys have been killed by a neglected chain coming off/breaking and locking up the rear wheel on them. PLEASE make sure the chain and sprockets get inspected and tensioned properly. Download the service manual here or take it to a shop.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

There should be no way you can either put on or take off your chain just by using your hands. If you can, you have a very serious safety issue. Park your bike until it gets sorted out.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile View Post
Buddy - the chain should NOT come off under any circumstances during normal riding. Guys have been killed by a neglected chain coming off/breaking and locking up the rear wheel on them. PLEASE make sure the chain and sprockets get inspected and tensioned properly. Download the service manual here or take it to a shop.
Originally Posted by hamlin6 View Post
There should be no way you can either put on or take off your chain just by using your hands. If you can, you have a very serious safety issue. Park your bike until it gets sorted out.

CorruptFile and hamlin6 are absolutely 100% correct. Your bike is benched till you have this corrected. This is serious enough that it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say your next post will be "I crashed"... if you're alive to post.

DO NOT RIDE THAT BIKE 1 MORE INCH

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM

These guys are right, its not worth it! I just had chain and sprockets replaced myself because the chain wore out (overstretched, it was a cheap one PO used) and I let it dig into my sprockets some since I planned on replacing them. As soon as I felt what your describing, I parked it until they were replaced!