CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

quick question about jetting

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about jetting

OK. got my bike running pretty decent today. BUT, its still got a bogging issue. NO, not while riding. i can not ride it yet, this is in neutral in my garage.

if i go full throttle off idle, it normally dies.

if i ease into it and then go full throttle it hits a wall at 5k, stops for a split second, then studders up in rpm. its like wraaaabrrrrbrbrbrbrbbarbabaabrabbaaaaaaa. lol

IF, i close off the 2 "tubes" of the airbox that go through the frame with my hand, there is practically NO bogging, and goes up to 12k no problem.

this means that its getting too much air. MEANING i may be getting too LITTLE gas.

1. would a fuel filter cause this?

2. the stock box is drilled with 20-30 1/2' holes.... i covered these up with duct tape for the time being. and i have a vance and heines slip on. with these mods SHOULD I do a jet kit? if so which one

3. since ill be running this a "street fighter" what do i have to do to these 2 intake tubes to get it to not bog at 50mph? leave them off? cover them halfway? whats the remedy?

thank you all.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: quick question about jetting

i would say u need the same setup im running, i have slip-on, k&n filter, drilled air box, and stage 2 dynojet kit, bike runs pretty good. Get yourself a stage 2 jet kit and she should run mint.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 AM

I think you need to open up your carb and see what's in there.

My gut reaction is that your main jet is too big OR, if you have some kind of jet/needle kit in there (another reason you need to open it up to find out) and there's a needle/cip system it's set a few notches TOO rich.

Ill bet $5 that someone put a dynojet kit in there already and put the 124s in, then has the needle clips at one extreme or the other.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if that were the case, when he puts his hands over the intake tubes, should that not cause it to run even worse?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 PM

Yeah, I don't know. But all the more reason to open up the carbs and see what the hell is in there.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM

i already have... i remember 10*(2 or 5).... the carbs were VERY clean.

backstory, the previous owner blew an engine, put this one on it, hasnt ran normal... SAYS its the sync. BUT, that wouldnt explain the whole less air, runs better thing.... i think i need more gas, AND a new fuel filter.... i taped off ALL holes, and halfway cover up the two front ones, it runs pretty good. take the tape off... GEEZE. its crazy. bogs REAL bad, goes up in rpm SLOW, and hits a "rev limit" at 5ish k...

"stage 2" jet kit? from which site? and what size jets do they come with?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Well, Keihin 105s are stock, and if your airbox is drilled, and you have a V&H, then it's almost guaranteed you need MORE GAS, just like you say. Also, if you open it up again, see if there are stock jet needles or clip-style needles in there.

Take off a diaphragm/slide cover and carefulliy pull the diaphragm/slide out. Get a #2 phillips and put down towards the back of the needle and unscrew the plastic needle-holder a quarter turn. Then push the holder and the needle out.

If the needle has a clip system and an hourglass-shape, then it's probably a dynojet or factory pro needle set. IF it just has a regular (clipless) top and a more straight taper then it's probably a stock needle.

My bike has a Yoshi pipe and a drilled airbox and STOCK NEEDLES and I use DJ 114 jets. Runs great, although I could probably go up to DJ 116.

AND, I live at 5000 feet. Some people say you can go DOWN a jet size for every 1000 feet you go UP in altitude. So, if you're at sea level, you could probably stand to use a DJ 120 or 124!!!!!!

And, most people say that DJ jets can run up to 10% smaller than Keihin jets. For example, a DJ 110 lets as much gas through as a Keihin 120, roughly.

Sorry, that's a lot of info.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM

lol. ITS GOOD info though. i really appreciate it. its what i needed. other peoples set-up... see, you have alot more fuel at higher altitude. im in indiana, ALMOST at seal level. lol. i guess i will be purchasing the jet kit before i ride in june thank you

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Well, if you get in there and find you DON'T have stock needles, then don't drop the $1xx bucks, because you can just buy a bag of main jets from Dynojet or whatever.

You could even just buy a set of DJ 120s for $8 and it would probably be really close. Or you can buy 5 sets for $30, if you don't want to spend the $1xx.

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/jetassortment.aspx

Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 PM

use the jets with the stock needles? (it would be better than what i have ?)

my question is, is the "needle" itself the limiting factor? or is the "jet"? or both in conjunction?

Quick Reply: quick question about jetting