CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Purchasing an 88(I think) Hurricane tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another update for you all!

So today I went and picked up a lightly used rear sprocket off a totaled bike. I know it's not ideal, but I'm balling on a budget and the sprocket is practically new. Replace that and the chain and that should all be quite ridable for many miles to come!

I also ordered some nescessary parts for attaching the stock headers on my bike. The bike came with what appears to be nice aftermarket headers... however they're entirely turned to rust, and it looks like some goomba rode the bike off a carb dent the exhaust in significantly. Also when removing the exhaust, it became apparant how gheto rigged the big was. It was missing two of the eight exhaust studs, and durring removal two more broke. I went and got new threaded studs and put them in, although two of the snapped off studs are still unremovable.

Tomorrows plans after work is to finish removing the ****ty exhaust studs somehow, and then finish the tank treatment process. It's been sitting for almost four days now with the tank cleaner in it, so I'm damn positive it's eaten away at all the rust by now! Booya! I also got new grips for the bike, and provided everything else goes as planned, I'll be hooking up the throttle (I skipped it for just initial testing), getting air in the tires, and testing the bike out lightly around the neighborhood some!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

More updates... with pictures!

So in the process of trying to remove the exhaust studs I ran into a massive headache. They simply weren't coming out. I did everything I could, and tried a wide variety of methods, ending with the final method of drilling and tapping. This completely destroyed one surround, and messed up another one. Lesson learned I suppose, and next time I'll work 80 times harder on doing the job right... anyways, here's a picture of one of the damaged studs:

I took it to a shop my friend highly recommends to get an estimate. The guy was pretty smart and hoenst, and told me we'd have to remove the motor to get the work done properly by the welder. I'm okay with that, however I wasn't about to pay him for three hours of work to remove and put the motor back in. I can do that myself, and with the motor torn apart I want to get in there and do a bunch of cleaning and what not.

So we remvoed the motor, and by we, I mean myself and a friend of mine Kenny. He's been helping me this whole way, and the kid is a genius and knows his stuff. I'm always stoked to have his help. Anyways, here's my bike with no motor in it!

Holy naked bike! The thing is pretty damn light when it's like this, heh. While we did this, we managed to get the rear wheel off. The axle had partially rusted itself on to the rear wheel bearings, which now both need replacing. UGH!

Here's the motor in the back of my truck on the way to the welder:

So the welding job only cost $40, which was a great price and the man did excellent work and is surely a genius at welding. Considering this was welding Aluminum, I'd say the guy damn well knows his stuff! Here's the motor post his work:

So now all that's left is to drill out the new surrounds, and put a stainless steel helicoil in there. It's important to do the helicoil as the aluminum itself may not be espescially strong, at least in comparison to the cast aluminum head.

So there you have it, my adventuire is mucking up exhaust studs. A big fiasco, but certainly worth every penny. Lessons well learned, and a bike properly fixed up. When it's all said and done the bike will be properly rebuilt, and now that I'm pulling the motor this far apart, I'll be able to clean and service that much more of the motor!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Okay the surrounds are re-drilled, tapped, helicoiled with stainless steel threads, and now contain proper exhaust studs. When the exhaust gaskets arrive I'll be able to get the exhaust on, and the bike will be able to run properly!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Keep up the good work, your getting the work done fast!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Banned

Thanks bud!

So I went to a good friend Brian's to get the drilling, tapping and heli-coil insertion done proper. He's a great guy and he works for Horizon airlines as a mechanic, so when it comes to stuff like this he knows what he is doing!

Anyways, below is the process. First the tools, second the drilled hole with the heli-coils put in (6 x 1.0 internal thread) and the last is the motor with all the proper exhaust studs and everything on it!

Took it back that night to where the project bike is and got the motor back in! Hooked up the cabs, hooked up the thorttle cables and got the grips cut right, airbox is on... the list goes on.

Today I got the remaining parts together. I had them spread between two locations, long story. With the exhaust put on, and seated properly onto the motor, it fired right up. It did take a bit however as the fuel was slow moving, and even with starter fluid it took a bit. The motor surely was all the way dried out, and even with starter fluid it took a little bit to get going. The motor also at this point had been driven around in a variety of pickup trucks, flipped over a few times to accomodate welding, drilling, tapping, and helicoil insertion... so it was a bit grumpy. Once it got going though the bike purred to life and sounded great!

I slapped on a new rear sprocket, and it turns out that two rear sprockets I was given (both in about 75% condition) fit the bike, and one is a tooth up from the stock setting on these bikes. Not bad! A little but more getup and go, how nice!

Next part of the projcet is mostly focused around reassembling the bike, and waiting for some ordered parts to show up. I got new exhaust crush gaskets so as I could ensure the exhaust sits right. After that I got new rear wheel bearigns coming in and they should be good as well.

Upcomming to do:

-Wheels need new valve stems so as the current tires will actually hold air.
-Front and Rear brake calipers need a proper cleaning and servicing, pistons specifically have long time gunk buildup.
-Front forks need to be rebuilt (all bushings, gaskets, and dust covers, new oil as there is NONE in there, probably a shim to help preload the spring).

From there:

-Sturdy up fairings, repaint RED.
-Remove rims, get poweder coated RED.
-Remove gas tank, paint RED!
-New tires at some point
-Small vinyl repair on seat
-Chain replaced very shortly after getting bike legitimate
-Titled and registered in my state (got lost title process complete in WA and even got WA title)

Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 AM

gotta appreciate a guy who does not half *** anything!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Thanks. When it's done it should be pretty damn good! Only thing I'm regretting is not doing a valve adjust while I had the motor out. I just couldn't dig up a valve cover gasket in a timely fashion. Therefore that aspect of the project will have to wait a little while.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

God damn! This forum eats posts alive, grrrr...

Need to get front caliper rebuild kits. Even popping the pistons all the way and cleaning and making sure there isn't any scoring, the damn things still drag on the front discs like crazy. Fuuuccck! Another $40+ into restoring this bike!

Anyways, I mostly put minor stuff back on the bike last night. Here's a picture of the replaced crush gaskets:

Old 05-02-2010, 02:08 PM

good work on your project, im picking up an 89 hurricane, tomarrow my self.. i have a lot of work to complete on mine as well, i godda get both the lower right fairings and the lower left, the right side seat fairing, and the left side, and if my upper fairing cannot be fixed up, then i also have to get a new one of thoes as well, and then once i get all my body panels i have to get her painted, and then shell be ready for the road.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

I bet it needs more work than that. If you did find an 89 with just aesthetic issues you're a lucky man!

I've got side and tail plastics if you want them.

Quick Reply: Purchasing an 88(I think) Hurricane tomorrow!