CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

ok I give up any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok I give up any ideas?

Ok 89 cbr new fuel pump and new relay ran great for about a month not many rides then no fuel again .checked figured it was the relay again.New relay still nothing .I have a good 12v going to two wires going into the relay but nothing coming out .checked the wire coming out to the fuel pump for continuity, perfect so not a broken wire.I can put a jumper between on of the two other wires and the wire that goes to the pump and pump works fine.So what am I missing here.I am currently charging the battery just to make sure it isn't a certain amount of amps that need to go into the relay .But thats my last guess.Any help bfore I have to give up and take it in?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Did you check to see if fuel is coming out of the petcock?
Going through the filter?

Not trying to be a smartass but sometimes the simplest things trip people up.

KongBastard

Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Default yep

yes I know it get fuel to the pump the problem is the pump isn't getting any power to it to kick on

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Default just a thought

I don't have a manual for this bike need to get one but here is a thought I just had. By having two of the wires with power maybe that is keeping the relay off by keeping the contacts powered.So what controls the relay I know the wires go to the black box at the rear of the bike is that the cdi?Anyone that has a bike that is working be able to tell me if they have power to both or just one wire when they turn the key on.Where do I get a good shop manual reasonable or should i just order it from honda

Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Get the Clymer manual, it's pretty good.

A few things:

Unhook the fuel line from the carb. Turn the gas on and turn the starter over for a while. Does gas come out?

Also when you push the start button, you should be able to feel the fuel pump go "thump thump thump".

If you're bored, you CAN undo the elec. connection from the FP and bypass it, get a piece of 3/8" fuel hose and come right out of the fuel filter into the carb. Then if your bike runs properly you know that you were right about it being the fuel pump.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 AM

A continuity test on the wire isn't necessarily enough. A badly frayed wire with only one strand still intact will still show continuity but will not carry enough current to run the pump. It can even show 12+ volts. Some multi meters have an amp function...you have to disconnect the wire and put the meter in the circuit to measure the draw on the load. At least you won't mistake what the meter is telling you.

Last edited by thrasher572; 08-07-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Have you checked the fuse?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Default ok might have it figured out about 90% positive

Well I think it tracks back to the battery ,not sure how old it is two maybe three it turned the bike over ok but I think it was just getting to weak, not enough amps to kick in the pump .Went out to gravity feed the engine and thought I would turn it over since I just pulled the charger off.Bingo fuel pump clicking away .Now I will buy a clymer manual thanks for the suggestion .Yes the fuse was the first thing I check and I had done a gravity feed test in the beginning before I bought the new pump so it figured would run if it had fuel since it was acting the same .I had also turned it over with my hand on the pump a few days ago and there was nothing that is what led me back to the relay and jumper wire.I am guessing it takes a certain amount of amps to run the relay correctly and I am guessing my battery is just to low on amps to do it.I was thinking it was new last year but then I haven't ridden it much in at least two years so I am sure it is at least two years old .I do run a battery tender on it some in the winter but I change it out with the dr and crf also and since I ride those more I probably neglected the cbr.On a good note my 1st fuel pump relay was good so now I have a new extra one.Will probably lose it before I need it again. lol So I will be off to get a new battery tomorrow.I am going to test the voltage in the morning again to see what it drops to.It charges at 14 to 14.6 when running.I also would like to have tested the amp draw but never could figure out how to get away with it without hacking up my wiring harness.Thanks for the suggestion and wish me luck.I really like ridng it again with the new pirellis and want to get some miles on it again.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 PM

you can downlaod the manual somewhere around here for free

Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Default Just an update

Well gave up took the bike to the shop.They had it almost a month tested everything they could think of but found no problem.Bike started good for them everytime.They claim some of the new fuel pumps are sometimes sticky and need to be run for awhile to free them up.Either way had the bike back for awhile now starts and runs great,good thing since the dr had a stator go out 3 hrs from home so now that is getting replaced.Anyway wanted to thank everone for there ideas and I love the pirrelli tires they handle like a dream on this bike