CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Oil cooler mounting???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler mounting???????

If i put it under the radiator what do i do with all the extra hose? And what do I do with my wiring harness? What do ya'll think, how does it look?

Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler mounting???????-p1020211.jpg   Oil cooler mounting???????-p1020213.jpg   Oil cooler mounting???????-p1020212.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's what i plan to do on my "b" bike but can apply to your situation as well.

instead of using all of the oem line, i will be purchasing used oil lines that are rubber crimped to metal lines coming from the oil cooler side. i will cut those lines at the metal end including the oem set. so now, all i have left are metal lines on both ends, engine side and cooler side. i will use a hard line flaring tool kit to flare the ends out slightly. get some rubber line suitable for oil usage, route rubber or silicon oil line accordingly, and then use clamps to connect to hard lines.

that's the way i plan to do it. the only downside to this is having to find a set of lines where the hardline from the oil cooler will route in the correct direction. some slight bending will probably be required and this can be done with a hard line bender. the flare kit and bender are available at any auto store.

you could probably even recycle the oem rubber line that being used. i have never cut one yet to see what the ID of the line is. but it should work without any problems. and you'd only be using a couple feet of it at most.

as for the wire harness, that's a toughy but only in execution. for the stuff hanging off the front, you could put those connections under the fuel tank inbetween the air filter box and inside frame rail. there is enough room there on both sides. you'd have to extend the wiring and that is where it is going to take a lot of time. most streetfighters have the harnesses chopped and redone.

Last edited by michigan_313; 12-05-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Put the wires under your tank.

Cut the oil lines about 2 inches from where they mount on the engine. route them the way you want them back to the cut. Use a brass hose splice fitting (looks like a short piece of hard line with ridges on it. Use two worm clamps and splice the hose together.

Cheap, leak proof and very hard to see because the splice is very hard to see unless you are crwling around on the ground.

I will post pictures of my set up later today.

KongBastard

Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Default Thanks

I was going the route under the tank but it looks like their is not enough room to set the tank back down

Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM

you can just use clamps and put the oil cooler back on the forks, and for the wires stuff them behind your light, i did that and it looks and runs fine, your bike looks really good by the way

Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 AM

Remove the white plastic thing from under your tank as well as the rubber mask. Remove the rubber snorkels from the airbox. this will help high speed breathing and stop a lean condition that happens on a lot of unfaired CBR600F's.

If you mount the oil cooler somewhere other than the forks it cleans it up quite nice. I tried mine with the oil cooler on the forks but didn't like the look or the fact that the lines move back and forth everytime you turn the wheel (my personal opinion).

I have attached a few pictures. Bike is still a work in progress and forgive the mess in the garage.

KongBastard

Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Didn't think the intake tubes were necessary? ive got mine crammed down under the intake box, I couldn't fit mine there because of the tubes.

Last edited by xjoewhitex; 12-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM

There is a well documented issue that affects our bikes. When you remove the fairings a high speed lean condition occurs. A lot of times the bike will not pull above 7-8K rpm's in the higher gears.

You can block the holes in the frame, cut the snorkels so they don't meet the holes in the frame or remove them entirely.

Not everyone has this problem (seems to be vaccum is created because of air movement across the holes - like blowing across the top of a straw) as many other factors come into play(if the airstream is partially blocked somewhere else by wires, hand controls etc.)

All of this just shows that the airbox will pull plenty of air from under the bike without the snorkels.

KongBastard

Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Wow I didn't know that, and I didn't even know to look that up it really makes sense you explaining it out like that. Id say they will be removed then, thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM

thanks so much for your help, I was wondering if anyone was going to really help me out.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler mounting???????