CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Gasoline in oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gasoline in oil

Hey guys, first post. I recently picked up a 1990 CBR 600F in rough shape for like $400 and a case of beer. The bike runs up and down the street alright once you jump the solenoid, I'm getting around to changing all liquids out etc.. it's just my project/toy bike.

I noticed when I drained the oil there was a ton of gasoline in it, is this motor toast? Would that mean bad rings?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd probably put my money on stuck carb float causing the engine to flood. Gas is miscible in oil so it's not necessarily bad rings or anything serious with the engine itself. You can confirm flooding by pulling the sparkplugs. If they're gassy... well you probably get the idea

I'm also a huge sucker for the 'too cheap to refuse' project bike, so from my experience, if the bike runs when you bought it, it'll probably just need the basics, but worthwhile to put a bit of time into it to make sure it's not gonna catch fire or leave you stranded

You'll probably end up popping the carbs off for a cleaning, and to find out why she's flooding. If so, it's a good time to check the air filter, drain the old gas, replace any cracked fuel lines, and always put a fresh fuel filter on it. While the tank's off it's a good idea to check cables/controls, and give a quick visual for burned or cracked wires and other small action items

If you want to rule out a badly neglected block, I find a valve job is a good excuse to pop off the cover and get a look at the cam journals, sparkplugs, and timing chain. You won't need to remove the cams, just get a quick look at whichever journals are exposed when you do the valves. Follow with a compression test to rule out rings or burnt valves. If you do this while the carbs are off, you'll have more room to work, and if you need to get further into the engine, it's one less thing to detrim

Hope that helps. Also put up some pics - I want to see how far $400 and a case of beer goes these days

Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'm crossing my fingers it's just a stuck carb. I'll prolly pull them soon once I get my workbench setup (recently moved)

Surprisingly all the rubber and lines are ok, just things needing tightened up. It's missing nearly every bolt for the fairings/air cleaner/seat lol someone took it apart and ziptied it all together.

Excuse the messy garage pics, paint removal is always quite the affair.

Pic from the ad

Removing the terrible terrible excuse for paint the PO had on it.

toyz

Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

She looks pretty much complete. I'd say you did alright in the deal

Old 08-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid double that for a bike in much worse shape. I, however, suck at getting good deals. Well done.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM

The key to deals, find ads that are written poorly by some dummy. Don't be afraid to offer low, and you have to have the mentality "eh I don't really need this or want it that badly".

But always be extremely nice, and actually have the cash on hand etc

I'm really looking forward to slapping some new paint on and getting this thing tuned up!!