CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

No Fuel or Spark on '90 600 cbr

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Fuel or Spark on '90 600 cbr

I just bought a 1990 CBR 600f and I test drove it and it ran like new. I put it in the back of my truck took it home and now it won't start. It cranks but I'm not getting any fuel or spark. This is my first bike and I'm not too familiar with it yet. Any ideas ? I checked the kill switch and I have battery voltage all the way to the fuel relay. I NEED HELP !

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Is the choke on? do you smell gas? if so they carbs are floaded. Which means you have to let it sit for a while before trying to start it again. If this isnt what you need then are you in neutral when trying to start the bike? It has a safety feature which will shut the bike off/not start if it is in gear and the kickstand is down.

is your petcock on? (its on the left side of your bike around where your knee is... up is on, side is off, down is reserve

Last edited by SneakyMofo; 06-14-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added petcock
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM

I've tried it with the choke on / off and nothing. My fuel is on and I hot wired the pump to make sure it works and it does. I've also tried it with the clutch pulled in and out and yes the bike is in neutral. I took the gas tank off and put my finger over the line coming from the fuel pump and its not sucking when I crank it. I thought it was the rectifier at first because my new battery went dead when I first found that my bike wasn't starting. But I replaced it and it still won't run. I'm in the process of diagnosing the kill switch but not sure what to look for.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM

The best way to find out if the carbs are getting fuel is to open the drain screws on the carbs. There is 1 flathead screw on the lower side of each carb, if you loosen this screw fuel should pour out from the nipple on the bottom of the float bowl. If not then you know where to look but if fuel comes out then I will bet its flooded.

Try taking the spark plugs out and let the cylinders dry out, it would be a good time to check the plugs for spark too! Let us know how it goes..

Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 PM

I wouldn't move on to things like the choke or potentially flooding when when he says "no gas". Kinda pointless. That's like worrying if the tires are balanced when a dude says "no weels"

First off, let's start simple and build from there:

You are saying no fuel, and it's cause the fuel pump doesn't have suction on your finger. Did you turn the float bowl drains to see if fuel came out? You mentioned the pump wasn't moving fuel you suspect. Try hooking fuel up to the carbs ala beer bong style. If the floats are dry and it's the pump, gravity fed well at least allow you to test the bike and make sure it's fine at idle and up to a decent RPM.

You are saying no spark. What makes you say no spark? Did you test a plug for spark on your block? If you didn't, do that before you say "no spark".

Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Yes, sorry I forgot to say I tested the plug on the block and got nothing. I tested the fuel pump relay and keep getting erratic readings, most of the time it shows an open and other times it actually gives me resistance. I know if the relay was bad that it would cause the pump to stop but did not know if it would cause no spark since the spark unit and coils are all tied into the same circuit as the fuel relay and the kill switch. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Messer7
I just bought a 1990 CBR 600f and I test drove it and it ran like new. I put it in the back of my truck took it home and now it won't start. It cranks but I'm not getting any fuel or spark. This is my first bike and I'm not too familiar with it yet. Any ideas ? I checked the kill switch and I have battery voltage all the way to the fuel relay. I NEED HELP !
Something most likely came loose during transport. Check all fuses and connectors under the left panel by the handlebar. Also check your kickstand switch connector. If you're not getting ignition then lack of fuel is irrelevant. The pump only runs when the bike is running. Download the manual here: http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-54.html and look at the wiring schematics so you can see what to check.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Nice post with the manual. Good response as well. Well done!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Another thing. If your battery is not fully charged, the bike will turn over but not start. Strange, but happens often. You can jump the battery from a car ( MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING!!!!!! ) and see if it will start.

Quick Reply: No Fuel or Spark on '90 600 cbr