CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New Member (Plus a Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member (Plus a Picture)

Hey, my name is Josh and I'm a long time lurker and well I'm pretty sure this is my first post here.

I bought my Hurricane in about August of 2009 with 22k miles. Yes, that is the original warning sticker on the windscreen on the front as well as there is one on the gas tank. Currently the bike has a hare under 24k on it as it needed some work this winter including replacing the stator, regulator, CCT, plugs, carb syncing etc. It runs great now and pulls harder than ever.

Current mods on the bike are as follows:
+2 rear sprocket with a 520 chain
Cobra Exhaust
K&N filter
Throttle Lock

Future mods I'd like to do (Any input would be greatly appreciated)
Header (this is the one I'm still unsure on)
Jet Kit (this would be done next winter).

Anyways, let me know what you think as well as any suggestions for what else I should do? I love this bike and want to keep it look as close to stock as I can. And yes, the bike is garaged at ALL times and NEVER ridden in the rain.

Attached Thumbnails New Member (Plus a Picture)-cbr600f.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM

welcome! bike looks hella nice! i'm in the middle of restoring mine. got mine setember of last year. 9.6k miles original. but has needed a bit of tlc due to a 9year storage :/ good luck buddy!

Clos

Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Looks good!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 AM

What up, I got that same exhaust your bike looks in good shape good luck.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta love a retro! Very nice.

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:59 PM

My 2 cents worth. If it runs good then don't mess with the jetting unless you have some experience and you do some research. It's not that it is so difficult, but have a specific goal in mind with the jetting before you do it. Same thing with the exhaust. You can either increase the performance or decrease it with jet /exhaust mods. I was told back in 1989 that these bikes ran better with the stock exhaust pipe and a good jet kit. This came from guys who raced them in endurance races( in California, I believe ). I did my own jet kit install in their shop. Like I said, just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and have fun with your new ride. Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks Billistic, just the kind of feedback that I was looking for. My reasoning for wanting to go with a Jet kit is two-fold, first I wanted a bit more power from the bike. Second I'm concerned that with the exhaust and filter that the bike would be running "lean". I'll be the first to admit I'm not a carb guy. As my other hobby is wrenching my two fuel injected BMW cars. Needless to say, I don't like when my bike won't start and I can't plug my laptop into it to figure out why.

Regarding if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Right now the bike has never run better since i've owned it. The only thing left to it that I'm going to do this season on it is repair a couple of hairline cracks in the fairings. That and get my wife's VF500 Interceptor roadworthy again, she's a little miffed that I got my bike up and running first.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Ha,ha you fixed your bike first! You can check your plugs to see if it's running lean. This forum is a great source of info in that most problems/questions you may have, have already been covered. I have learned so much about my bike. Interceptor 500 was the first bike that I wanted. Bought a 650 Nighthawk first and then the Hurricane.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 AM

650 Nighthawk, is that the same as the NT650? If so, my brother has one of those bikes as well.

About my wife's bike, she could get it running if she chose to, she was the one that rebuild her carbs (those V-4 carbs are a PITA to re-install though).

Last edited by I am CDN Josh; 02-09-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM

thing really looks great, nice work! and pics of the vfr 500 please

Quick Reply: New Member (Plus a Picture)