CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New and looking for guidance

Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Default New and looking for guidance

Hi everyone,

Brief intro, do a small project with my paps and had this CBRF1 for a couple years now, bike is completely stripped down to the frame at this point.

looking to rebuild a set of forks on a 1987 CBR600F1

got my seals, Race tech springs and Race tech emulators ready to go. I did a search and couldn't find much information about the installs itself and was wondering if anyone has had experience with either one of the Race Tech items I'm about to install. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-04-2016, 11:46 PM

I haven't done the racetech's, but the forks are pretty simple to rebuild. They are just like every dirt bike out there up till the 90's. The only difference is the anti dive piston, but it is cake. If you have the FSM it has step by steps on how to do it no issues.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by drakito View Post
I haven't done the racetech's, but the forks are pretty simple to rebuild. They are just like every dirt bike out there up till the 90's. The only difference is the anti dive piston, but it is cake. If you have the FSM it has step by steps on how to do it no issues.
Thanks dude

My old man was telling me it's a lot of work to rebuild them, I think he's just kindly saying to me that I'm going to be doing them myself 😂

Anyone else on here put in the emulators??

Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM

I've done a number of fork rebuilds on CBR's. It's pretty straight forward. Messy tho.

A vise is a must particularly when compressing the springs to get the top nut on.

The Race Tech emulator cartridge just sits on top of the damping rod. Installing them is simple, adjusting is another story, because you have to take them out to adjust them.

The Race Tech website has a ton of info.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:52 PM

roger that, thank you for the heads up.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Greetings again everyone,

So its been a while since i last posted, just a brief update here.

I got the forks done as everything was pretty straight forward, New springs and valves in with new seals. Had everything apart and noticed the guide bushing near the top were worn on the outer surface. These bush guides have a copper outer surface and showed good signs that it needed replacing, and so a quick phone call to Carter Honda here in Vancouver and $29 later i got me some new ones. inspected everything else and did my mods on the dampeners to work with the new valves, buttoned everything back up and now awaiting bike assembly with my old man.

The frame did have a crack in the usual spot and being a journeyman fabricator and welder I did the repairs on the crack myself and sent it to powder coating along with the wheels.

Will post pictures in a week or so.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Carter Honda is great to do business with. I cross the line when I need parts for mine rather than deal with the folks down south who don't seem that interested in helping. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pics.