CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New to the forum and questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and questions

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I just got my first motorcycle. It's an 88 cbr 600f. Even though it's a beater, I still have fun with it.
I would like to take thisopportunity to ask youguys a couple questions. In the morning it starts fine but when I try to start it after school I have a heck of a time starting it. Sometimes it's right away. Any ideas?? Also, what type of motor oil should I put in the bike?? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: New to the forum

i use 10-40 oil.
ps how old are you just the school call im still in high school
as to starting after school how long does it sit what is the temp out do you use choke or no? just a few things i can think of

Old 03-22-2008, 09:47 AM

I'm a second year at community college. I'm planning on transfering in a year.
When I'm at school it sits for about 8 hrs ( I start school at8 everyday and wont leave till 4 or 5). Usually it's very hot by the time I try to start it. I'll try to usethe choke but even that wont work. Sometimes it will start, but it sounds like it's going to die and it dues.I havenoticed that it has an easier time starting in the morning when the temp is cooler. OhI forgot to mention that sometimes when I'm at a light and I haveit in firstgear with the clutch in it will die on me after a while.
Thanks for the reply 89cane.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Does your bike smell like gas when it's idling, like at the light?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM

mmmm...I dont think so, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 AM

it may need a new clutch cable, simple to do...wait..do you put the gas switch on..LOL...happened to me a few times alrdy, i use to put it in "RES" in stead of "ON" just thought opposite . check the battery? i have a spare one for a F2 project from about a month or so ago. should fit, it was also 600.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM

and motor oil...
hp4 from honda its like 2 bucks more. ive talked to the guys at the dealership and a few others ride like Lamahas and they all the same thing, HP4 its the petrol blend or soemthing liek that.
HP4 is the 10w-40, (Gold bottle red cap).

Old 03-23-2008, 01:44 PM

If I could recomend you a tough oil, I would have to say any 15W-40 diesel oil would be a great choice to run in any motorcycle. Reason being is because diesel oil contains just as much if not more anti-wear additives and cleaning agents.It is alsovery shear proof and holds viscosity much betterthen most motorcycle oils. Best of all, it costs less then halfof any kind of motorcycle oil on the market. Shell Rotella recently ran JASO MA tests on their new CJ-4 oils and concluded that it met the frictional tests for this class. On another website I have seen used samples of Amsoil sheared out of grade within a matter of hours where as the diesel oils held much better viscosity.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:53 PM

thanks for the advice guys. Iactuallyforget to turn the switch off when I'm done riding...I dont know if that's a problem or not...It has a brand new battery.
Oh and one more thing how much oil should I put in it. I'm asking because I dont know how much to buy. Again, thanks guys.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:07 PM

I never actually turn off the switch when im done riding. I just turn the key off.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and questions