CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New bike, non-runner to a runner in 4 days.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike, non-runner to a runner in 4 days.

The new bike

So the story goes, picked up this nice little Honda cbr600f which had not been used for 2 years for £350 as a non-runner, has a bit of fairing damage on the left side which will lead to some fairing replacement in time, also a missing mirror + cracked screen.

Spent 4 days working on it so far and finally got it running in the last hour or two before this post, only money spent was on a new battery.

Rain or shine we was working.

(we put up the gazebo correctly after seeing how much of a bad idea this was :P )

When we first started on the bike nothing worked, the power was not getting to the ignition due to a corroded wire, easily fixed in a minute, okay power, time to test the starter, *click* oh something at least, a little fiddle with the starter solenoid and the started began to work, got some fuel, turned it on, fuel was pumping carb's where leaking, a drained battery later from trying to start it before noticing the leaking carbs and two days where over.

Third day, trying with some might to undo the screws that obviously only the Hulk himself did up on the airbox (some cutting was needed with a dermel) got the airbox off in some time, whipped out the carbs, did some checks on the plugs, (which was not easy they are in such an impossible place) messed with the front brakes third day over.

Fourth day, the stripped the carb's gave everything a good cleaning, honestly we could see nothing wrong with them other then the o-rings being a bit flat put it all back together and popped it in the bike.

(left is my mechanic right is a friend who looks like a dip)

a little bit longer and a random cough that perked us all up points towards the bikes first life, some choice between choke on and off, turning the idle down and boom everything kicks to life and we have a nice (if not alittle rough) running bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC50_5lP8is

One thing I hope you clever bunch can help me with (I read a lot of threads here to solve issues with this bike)

Any idea what that cable is for? the cable needs rewiring into the block its right behind the radiator, below the tank, in front of the carb's above the plugs can't seem to find what it does in the service manual, anything important?

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the helpful threads you guys have helped in that I found to help me out

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM

That plug is for your radiator fan. The bike sounds like it's not running on all 4 cylinders. Did you change the spark plugs?? I highly recommend it. If the carbs are indeed clean (and I'm sure they are), then new plugs = new bike sound!! It probably got flooded out during your troubleshooting. Looks pretty good for the price you paid. What is that in US dollars, like $2,500? ; D

Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM

We only managed to check the the outer most 2 plugs and they looked almost new and sparked well, It seems almost impossible to get to the inner most plugs lol, will be a struggle.
UK£ 350 = 581 U.S. dollars
Was a bloody bargin

Old 12-02-2009, 02:43 AM

make sure all the exhaurst pips are getting hot that will tell you if it running on all 4

Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 AM

Could be a little rough because its the first time it has started in 2 years, and we couldn't really do alot as it was late, and loud, today we'll get it running right.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM
LBS

Good show!

Does my heart good to see older bikes resurrected and given some care instead of just binning them for the newest flavour of the year

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Looks like a nice bike.. well done for getting it going.. like Lloydie said easiest way to check its running on all four is to check the pipes are all hot..

Old 12-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Okay checked the pipes, all is fine, we found out why it sounds like that, a bit of a hole in the far left downpipe, nothing to serious getting that fixed for free soon, carb's are still leaking any ideas? For some reason I can't find float gaskets anywhere for them (o-ring gaskets?) if anyone knows any sites that sell them please link, or any way to save them mine are a little flat but intact.
Thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get yourself some silicone lubricant spray and douse the gaskets in it.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Dedicated guys working out in the rain (under the canopy), well done!
Does it ever stop raining in the UK in winter?

Quick Reply: New bike, non-runner to a runner in 4 days.