CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New 1987 Hurricane owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 1987 Hurricane owner

you know now that i think of it, the bike was acting like that when there was dirty fuel in the tank. it wasnt super dirty, but i drained the carbs via the floats and filled it back up (i also drained the whole tank) and it stopped behaving like that. might want to check the fuel filter and your tank for dirty fuel or rust. i did also have the carbs cleaned but that was prior to this incident, and about a week later i found a main jet at the bottom of the float bowl, the mechanics didnt tighten it enough so it fell out.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I replace the fuel filter with any ole generic device or do I have to get the factory original. If so, where can this be found?

Old 07-26-2006, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Kamakazi

Can I replace the fuel filter with any ole generic device or do I have to get the factory original. If so, where can this be found?

i think it is going to be a common part #, my dad is a wholesale mgr for napa, and he said they should have them.

call some parts stores and see if they have it by part # 16900-MG8-003.

if not you may have to order it from honda, if you do, get it here:

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.ph...etprice=Submit

Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 AM

My choke is working fine... I guess I'm just floored by a bike that doesn't have to be coddled at every start up. The bike is delightfully start and go.

The handling is quite exceptional except for one aspect. When I hit questionable terrain at high speeds, the bike loses confidence and I often seem to get both wheels off the ground as the power train revs maniacally for a split second. On come down I have had the horrible experience of speed wobbles at the front end. The bike is the lightest and fastest thing I have ever ridden--- is this kind of thing to be expected or do I need to take a look at both the forks and rear shock? I haven't checked what my rear is set to... will an adjustment back there be very dramatic? How does your 'Cane handle the rough?

Once again, the bike has 17,000 miles on it. All I've really done so far was dissasemble the front and rear calipers (A few pistons were siezed) and replace the pads.

T.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM

really not much of a problem unless pavement is really junk.

otherwise adjust suspension accordingly and see what you like. if not much of a change, may need to replace shock and rebuild forks. it is also best to check bearings in those locations to make sure there is not a large amount of play, slop, or wear.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Michigan--

Thanks man! I actually released the air out of the front brakes and now I'm not getting the slappies on that same stretch of pavement. I want to rebuild the front end soon. Should I get the stock springs and oil or should I get thicker oil and stiffer springs? What do you recommend?

Kamakazi

Old 08-29-2006, 03:46 PM

UH DUH--

I released the air out of the FRONT FORKS. Not the brakes. That would be silly. Thats what happens when you write before coffee.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM

Did you replace the piston seals on your brakes? The reason I ask is I just replaced my rear pads and one piston was seized, so I rebuilt the caliper. But, I did not replace the seals. They seemed to be in great condition, but now I am second guessing myself. It wouldn't be to hard to take apart again and replace, but should I even worry about it? They brake functions perfectly and does not leak.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 PM

I did not replace the seals on the pistons. They looked to be in great condition. Did you inspect them for cracks? If you don't find any then you should be ok. If your seals go out you would definitely know because brake fluid would seep out and the pressure on your brake lever would start to sag.

It certainly doesn't hurt to put in new ones and god knows they are cheap enough so you should replace them, especially if it helps you to not worry. Worrying about the impending failure of a component is dangerous, me thinks. Makes for bad decisions on the road. For instance, if you are worried that the screw holding your mirror might fling off at any time or your carbs are starving the engine, then you are instantly thinking about something other than riding and that loss of focus ain't too good on the street.

Having said that, I inspected the seals and they were fine. (Plus, I had to borrow a local bike shops compressed air to dislodge the pistons so I passed them under the nose of mechanic for a second opinon). The brakes are jolly good now.

HOWEVER-- a car backed into me while I was siting at a red light. I actually caught it, last minute and pushed the throttle but it was too late. The bike and I went down.

It cracked up my lower fairing, scraped up the upper cowl, and the mirror. As you saw in the picture, my Hurricane was in really great cosmetic (as well as mechanic) condition so this was a little heartbreaker. I had the bike for only 10 days. GRRRR.

I knew that the insurance would just rule it a total loss and give me a 1000 bucks or something and then I'd have to get a salvage title or something. Anyways, the lady didn't want to bother her insurance so she offered me cash for a all the parts. I orderd new fairings straight from Honda to replace them. Now I have a slightly damaged lower right fairing, upper cowl, and lid. I repaired all the cracks with Plastex and they look decent. If anyone is interested in them, let me know. I am thinking that they might come in handy if I do indeed get into track stuff but I feel kind of greedy about keeping them.

The red on the new fairings is a little more brilliant than the red on the old parts-- Naturally. Is there any way to darken my new ones? Take them to a tanning salon perhaps?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:46 AM

well, atleast you got it fixed. did she just rip out a check book and write you up for a G or what?

Quick Reply: New 1987 Hurricane owner