CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New 1987 Hurricane owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1987 Hurricane owner

Hello!

I just added a beautiful 1987 Hurricane 600 to my stable (1968 Bultaco Matador, 1980 GS550, 1971 CB500) and I love it. It has 17,000 miles and seems in great shape. On thing that has me baffled though is that the choke doesn;t seem to work at all. In fact, if I engage it the bike stalls completely. Anyone else have this problem? Los Angeles is currently in a heat wave so the choke isn't that useful but I know that I will need it in the coming months, not to mention the wear and tear of hard starting all the time.

Anyways, a brake job both front and rear and this baby will be rocking!

T.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 1987 Hurricane owner

you may want to check the starter link shaft. the screws that hold each stay wire to the link shaft could be stripped and not pulling the choke the way it should. or too much.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:41 PM

Not so sure what could be causing this, but congrats on the buy... Any pics?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:25 AM

Here are some pics. Previous and original owner was an Asian lady in 50's. She put on the miles! Needless to say, it is bone stock and the footpegs don't show a single scratch.

She did drop it on both sides but the scratches are negligible and the body is in great condition considering. I won't have to replace them but I could use new white stripes when i'm ready to nitpick for they are a little dinged around the lower casing where contact with the ground must have occured.

She runs great. I've only had older style bikes so this is quite an experience. My friends are all purists (whatever that means) and only ride old cafe style. I can't wait to pull this one out on them. Anyways, the technology on the bike is pretty foriegn to me so I have a lot to learn -- this forum should be very helpful. Liquid cooling. Aluminum swing arm. Air pressure loading forks. Effective horsepower. All pleasantly new.

That reminds me, what the heck is the anti dive device on the forks?

I need to work on the brakes this weekend. Any tips on where to order pads? I need a new back rotor too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9644/0DFC92842B45431CBF5D74933E85F558.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM

oh wow, how much did you get that one for, it is in really good shape. almost pops out of the picture. im about to paint mine blood red as well. hope it comes out looking like yours.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 PM

$1800.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM

hmmm, musta been one hell of a 50 year old woman.

uh dude, the swingarm is steel.

"air pressure loading forks". well, sort of. as you ride, there will be heat generated from the fork tubes movement and heat absorbed from the radiator. that alone will cause the air pressure in the forks to build up.

the anti-dive device was a late 80's invention found on some manufacturers bikes. it is pretty much a period technology. what it is supposed to do is when you get hard on the fronts, it is supposed to do a blockoff in the left fork tube to keep the oil from moving too quickly thus causing the front end to dive down. that way, you could grab a handful of brake and the front end would stiffin up and be kept stable under heavy braking.

does it work? well, it was a good idea in theory. imo, heavier replacement fork springs work better and a cartridge emulator.

geez, with a new coat of paint and emblems, you could probably have it put in the barber motorcycle museum, if they don't already have one.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM

Oh how cool.

She is quite beau'teous ! A great buy indeed !

I had a Bultaco 250 Astro, 250 Alpina and a 360 Pursang once a long time ago.

I think it was the Alpina, you could roll it backwards and dump the clutch and the motor would run in reverse, crazy old bike.

Re: Choke problem. I know it's new to you, but have you had the tank off yet ?
Since your near the ocean you might have a corroded or gummed up cable, (salt) the first thing I would do is check for correct operation of the choke cable at the carbs and go from there. just make sure the choke cable opens and closes the choke completly.

Good luck on your new ride.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Ah, steel.

Right now a heatwave is in major effect in LA so who knows what the choke issue is. I'll take the tank off when it cools down and take a look at the slider. My friend with a night hawk 650 seems to act exactly the same so I'm not worried. It's just so different than my other bikes that have to always have the choke pulled to start no matter what temperature.

SIRR1-- the bultaco matador is the same 250 2-stroke engine. I've never run it backwards but I have heard of that before. It is a wheelie machine.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:38 PM

wouldnt that be a real quick way to dirty up your air filter? im sure the engine loves the fresh air as well! :-)

Quick Reply: New 1987 Hurricane owner