CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/)
-   -   My new project (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/my-new-project-33253/)

black93lx 03-13-2007 01:42 AM

My new project

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a 88 cbr600 today. It needs some work but it runs good. The only problems I discovered so far is that the rear brakes sticks. How do you fix that? Also looking for a tank and fairings if you know of any.
Attachment 83943
Attachment 83944

HurricaneForce 03-13-2007 02:11 AM

RE: My new project

Rear Brake: Take it apart!

Seriously, take the caliper and rotor off the bike. make sure that the rotor is true and thick enough. Then disassemble the caliper as far as you can, and try to get the piston out. Sometimes the seals in there go bad or you get some corrosion that interferes with the piston's movement. You might need new seals, but you definitely need to clean out any gunk.

rrasco 03-13-2007 12:41 PM

ah who needs a rear brake!?!?!

id, give hurricanes advice a try, whatever you do, dont put wd40 on it though....lol.

scout18 03-13-2007 05:37 PM

I have a tank it is black and has no cap and is a little dented. I will post a photo.

black93lx 03-14-2007 12:48 AM

I'll let you know when I see the pic if I'm interested. How much are you wanting for it?

scout18 03-15-2007 01:25 AM

here it is cheap has cap nd petcock after all cheap 40 dollars yocan't see the dent in the picture. I will take another one in better light tomorrow it definately needs repair

black93lx 03-15-2007 01:33 AM

looks good enough to me, right now I only care about it running. I'll make it good looking later. Do you happen to have the key for it? Is it rusty inside? Do you happen to have any more parts. I need the right rear fairing and possible a reaer brake caliper. I haven't had a chance to check mine out yet but if you got a good one let me know. Shoot me an email to bigfranks84@gmail.com with payment details.

HurricaneForce 03-15-2007 09:52 AM

I've got a rear brake unit from an F3. I'll take a look at it and see if they are interchangable. Does anyone on here happen to know offhand?

michigan_313 03-15-2007 03:14 PM

no, not without some work.

1. the caliper will not fit right up since the bolt spacing does not match the f1 caliper bracket bolt spacing.

2. the f1 caliper bracket is backed by a brake torque arm. the f3 uses a stop welded on the inside inner surface of t he swingarmto keep the caliper bracket from moving or twisting instead of the torque arm.

3. the f1 rear axle assembly (axle bolt, spacers, swingarm, caliper bracket) is 15mm diameter. the same assembly on the f3 is using 17mm dia. axle bolt.

4. i cannot remember offhand, but i believe the spacing between rim spoke to outside edge of rim is a narrow fit for the f3 caliper. since the f3 caliper is wider, it may impinge on the spokes.

black93lx 03-17-2007 09:21 PM

took my caliper apart and cleaned it. doesn't seem to be sticking any more. thanks guys. once i get a tank i'll get this thing running again. I need to change the oil and I'll prob flush the coolant while i'm at it sense its probably way old.