CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Mirror questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror questions..

Hi Guys,

well i'm a noob.. to the forum, and biking really.. had a bad accident way back in '88 lol and started again last year so am learning in many ways..

Anyways... for my first big bike i got myself my childhood dream of a CBR600F :-) its an '88 pearl white and red. The condition isn't too bad.. has a few scrapes on the sides/fairings and a dent on the slip on.
I might get round to sorting out the fairings if i dare take on the paint job.. but i've a couple of questions regarding the mirrors if anyone can shed any light on them.

Originally one of the mirror had been snapped off at the "swing" point, i never noticed that it was just cobbled back together.. but after being adjusted a few times the poor repair gave in.. so i got a couple of replacement mirrors from ebay.. (Red mirrors white boots).

I want to spray them white as my original mirror were... but how do you get the mirror off the boot and how does the mirror itself come out of the housing? i can see its fastened to the bracket from inside.. but how to you get to the fasteners?

Any help would be great.. as this place seems to be a fountain of knowledge :-) i'll try and get a few pics of the bike.. and slap them up.

I've also got myself a '96 VFR750F now.. so can afford to have the CBR offroad to do any works :-)

Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 AM

the mirror has a screw behind the class to remove the pivet then ther are 2 screws on the inside to remove the arm.
good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:01 PM

I've heard of people heating the mirror in hot water to loosen the glue that holds on the glass. Otherwise you will probably break the glass.
Good luck!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM

the cbr f1 mirror is help by the plastic it roles over the glass so you well need to cut that out and then you well have to glue it back on after.

**edit** help should be held sorry

Last edited by joeroberts; 09-17-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM

tape over the glass??

Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loganhudak
tape over the glass??
now thats thinkin with your dipstick! Jimmy!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Loganhudak
tape over the glass??
you well be left with unpainted areas inside the mirror housing not realy a big deal but all in all you well know it so it would be up to you if you want to do it like that but you stell could not change the ruber boot so what he wants it to change the boot and to do this He well need to cut the outer edge of the mirror backing inorder to remove the glass.

Attached Thumbnails Mirror questions..-picture-012.jpg   Mirror questions..-picture-014.jpg   Mirror questions..-picture-015.jpg   Mirror questions..-picture-016.jpg   Mirror questions..-picture-017.jpg  

Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 PM

how would you be left with anything unpainted except whats behind the glass (the part you never see..)?

hold the f**ker up and paint it.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Loganhudak
how would you be left with anything unpainted except whats behind the glass (the part you never see..)?

hold the f**ker up and paint it.
You seem to want to get upset with the advise I gave when I said
not realy a big deal but all in all you well know it so it would be up to you if you want to do it like that
Because the cbr f1 mirror pivots from the glass not the housing so If you paint the mirror and don't move the glass from side to side you well have UNPAINTED parts.
which is nether here nor there because He wants to change the boot
but how do you get the mirror off the boot and how does the mirror itself come out of the housing? i can see its fastened to the bracket from inside.. but how to you get to the fasteners?
so that is Y he needs to remove the glass
Not really a big deal only takes a couple minutes to do but if You go threw all that you can just change out the arm and not have to paint anything.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 AM

no no no . not pissed off.

but it seems liek a hell of a lot of work. i know the glass pivots, so you cover the face in masking tape. push in each corner and give it a blast of paint. then hold the mirror up and paint the rest. that would save a lot of time and effort , would it not?

Quick Reply: Mirror questions..