CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Lost your spark? Check all those switches!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lost your spark? Check all those switches!

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie boobie and when I lost my spark recently i was like "oh my what in the world am i gonna do to sort this!"

I came on here and took some great advice off tahoerider to check through the electrics using the service manual pdf available on here.

Am I glad I did! I went through the electric starter circuit first slowly with a multimeter and found a starter button that was filthy and a clutch switch that had no continuity when you pulled the clutch lever in!

Both items were fiddly to clean up but, once I had done them I got my spark back!

So if you've lost your spark check those little fiddly switches too!

I love this forum

Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM

happy to hear you got it all sorted!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Hey guys new to the forum...
I'm working on a buddies 89 cbr 600 that has no spark. I have been through this probably three times now. Coils ohm fine plugs are new wires are good pulse generator ohms out fine. the only issue i can see is that the two solid colored wires coming from the pulse generator to the cdi box have resistance to ground when cdi box is connected. Obviously the ignition switch on and kill switch to run. Checked the wires with cdi box off and resistance to ground. I have power running to both coils through black white on both coils and b/w along with w/y. So power supply seems to be ok. I'm thinking that the CDI box is the issue Just want to double check with some people that know better than I.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Hey man maybe you could find someone close to you to put their spark unit on your bike to find out if that's the problem like you think. The other guys on here have wonderful knowledge of these bikes so hopefully you might get some ideas off them. Keep at it bro and test everything really carefully!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM

i would check that way but i don't know anyone with that type of bike. The other problem is its kind of hard to even find the things, Honda stopped production on them. I have found a few used ones but i'm not spending $300 dollars to find out that one is bad. Wish I could find one from another bike that is still in production (CDI Box that is) and convert the wiring harness. If anyone has any ideas on that, that would be awesome.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 AM

The service manual might have some tests to check the CDI box directly, but I can't remember for sure. It's downloadable from the forum if you don't have it already. I'll try to go through the wiring diagram later when I have more time, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 PM

yea the manual does have some procedures. That book is a godsend. The only way you can check it is while its on the bike, so that sucks if i find one in the junk yard.

I live in the racine area of wisconsin if anyone does have an 89 cbr 600 around my area.
Thanks for you advice Tahoerider. What bike do you have?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Lightbulb

Hi curbcheck

There's a fella I watch on youtube called polok890. He lives in wisconsin too although I haven't a clue whereabouts. I know he's got a hurricane and recently got a hurricane parts bike and was able to put his good spark unit on it and got the parts bike running with it. So you maybe you could make friends and might work something out. Just something else to try...

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM

hey thanks for the input it was appreciated. Unfortunately the owner didnt want to put the money up so i took it to a mechanic for them. Come to find out i was right, the cdi box was bad. They had replaced the cdi box originally before i received the bike, so they didn't think it could be that. Well when you buy junk yard/used parts you don't know what your getting until you realize you cant return it.