CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/)
-   -   lost horsepower (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/lost-horsepower-126486/)

Tec_ 08-03-2011 10:10 PM

thanks guys. because i don't have any idea what the previous owners did im probably just going to buy a new Jet kit and go from there. any one know of any decent ones for the this year?

tripicana 08-04-2011 08:45 AM

you just need to find out whats in it now.
i've replaced a float bowl o-ring without removing the carbs either, and it was an inner carb. you can get to the jets also.
to get the screws out of the float bowls, i used a apex bit ratcheting wrench, like this;
http://images.shopletcdn.com/product...8-XL75.EPS.JPG

dynojet is about the only kit out there.

Tec_ 08-04-2011 11:42 AM

So it’s a possibility that its worn valve stem guides. With 46K miles on it and in the condition it is in is it even worth doing anything to this bike? Or is it time to try and unload it before it goes down all together

tripicana 08-04-2011 11:48 AM

have you ever checked/adjusted the valves?

tds94probe 08-04-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tec_ (Post 1086658)
So it’s a possibility that its worn valve stem guides. With 46K miles on it and in the condition it is in is it even worth doing anything to this bike? Or is it time to try and unload it before it goes down all together

the good thing about honda engines, they are virtually bullet proof. Valve guides and seals are a simple install, but you should def get the valves set, and factory pro's jet kit is nice, they use genuine kehin jets. I have both a dynojet and factory pro, and i use the factory pro. Reason being they send you instructions on how to properly tune it whereas dynojet just says drop it in like this and off you go. but they are both great kits.

Youll love the bike, just tr to do most of the work yourself so youll learn, because taking a 22 year old bike to the dealer everytime it needs servicing is a big bill.

Tec_ 08-04-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by tripicana (Post 1086662)
have you ever checked/adjusted the valves?

no all ive done is check compression. (its at home right now) will the shop manual have the procedure for that in it?

Originally Posted by tds94probe (Post 1086678)
the good thing about honda engines, they are virtually bullet proof. Valve guides and seals are a simple install, but you should def get the valves set, and factory pro's jet kit is nice, they use genuine kehin jets. I have both a dynojet and factory pro, and i use the factory pro. Reason being they send you instructions on how to properly tune it whereas dynojet just says drop it in like this and off you go. but they are both great kits.

Youll love the bike, just tr to do most of the work yourself so youll learn, because taking a 22 year old bike to the dealer everytime it needs servicing is a big bill.

Not having dropped a motor or done any serious mechanical work is a valve replacement as straightforward as buying new ones and dropping them in?

And do you have a source for the jet kit? i love the idea of good instructions I have looked at dynojets 2 page BS instructions.

tripicana 08-04-2011 01:34 PM

the manual does outline how to adjust the valves. i did mine with the motor out of the bike... in the bike you might want to remove the radiator for extra working room. only special tool you need is a set of feeler gauges.
i dont think worn valve guides would create a loss of power.
valve guides usualy aren't a easy project. after you remove the head, you will have to press out the old guides. press in new guides, then ream them to the correct size. even if you just went with new valves, you would have to have a valve job done to match the seats.
i would start with jetting and checking your valve adjustment.

hers a link to factory pro, or check with your dealer
CBR600, hurricane, jet, carb, tune, tuning, Data by EC997a Eddy Current Dynamometer

tds94probe 08-04-2011 09:07 PM

You can buy the jet kit from factory pro directly, or check denniskirk.com sometimes they are on sale there.