CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Just bought a hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just bought a hurricane

thats what i would do. i ended up dropping tons of cash on my cane just to get it to stable condition. still trying to get away from it so i can get me an F4, i, or RR.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:18 PM

damn shame you'll be walking away from it. but it's probably a good thing. there was probably a very good reason why the owner had the deal fall through on him. the previous potential buyer probably knew there was something amiss with the bike and decided not to bite. and the owner just wanted to unload it quick.

are you selling bike as a whole or as parts. not that i need anything but i'm sure there are members on here that would find this a good opportunity to get replacements or spares.

be patient, there are always bikes for sale and if you don't get one or find one you like, they'll be others. i was looking through the 4-sale rags for a few years before i ended up with my current ride. i had always wanted a hurricane/f1 but they are few and far between and even fewer are in decent shape.

at least with an f2 you can get decent aftermarket parts. with the previous model, you gotta get very creative.

good luck on your bike search.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I think my dad and I are going to "get creative" as michigan puts it . We're going to go ahead and have the guy work on it to get it in good running order. We went and picked it up yesterday and the bike ran great except for the clacking. No black smoke, no trouble starting, didn't bog at all (since I did run it up and down the street), it shifted through all the gears, all the lights and gauges work, sounds GREAT with the Vance and Hines exhaust...so I'm hoping we have a diamond in the rough here. We havent' been able to find a bike where everything works on it for anywhere close to $2000, so this might just end up a better deal. Wish me luck.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:16 PM

that is the ssr-2 isnt it? i am still in debate over that one and the D&D show-n-go carbon.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 PM

I'm not sure which model pipe it is, but it sounds good. I'm going to take the bike in today. The guy working there thinks I'm nuts, but oh well.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: thasgrdady

I'm not sure which model pipe it is, but it sounds good. I'm going to take the bike in today. The guy working there thinks I'm nuts, but oh well.
i am pretty sure that is the ssr-2, that V&H pipe, the D&D Show-n-go and the yoshi rs-3 are the only pipes that really fit, other than the kerker and the stock can.

are you selling bike as a whole or as parts. not that i need anything but i'm sure there are members on here that would find this a good opportunity to get replacements or spares.
i am going to sell it as a whole, i have fought for far too long and pt WAY too much cash to see this baby come apart. i would really like to keep it being my first bike and all, but it just doesnt have the performance i want and just plain and simple an old bike. dont get my wrong, i absolutely love it, but my initial mistake was buying it so quickly, i didnt know ANYTHING about bikes and just wanted to get in the saddle. now that i know what to look for and what i want, it will be better. i really want a 600RR but those might be a little high for my budget so i will probably opt for an F4 or F4i. and i am planning on waiting until i find the right bike.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 PM

performance... ha! from a 15+ year old bike? maybe with a lot more money and downhill in a hurricane. no pun intended.

i know how you feel, but sometimes as with many old things, old car, old bike, old lady, you just gotta be patient. you're going to learn alot from this bike, because once you get into fuel injection, it's a whole nother ballgame.

keep the bike a little longer and maybe you can have 2. a runner and a project.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 AM

that is what i would like to do, but only if i can afford the upkeep on two bikes. its not really a lack of performance, as much as stuttering after 20+ minutes ripping it up in this texas heat.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:41 PM

alright well I called the shop and the guy doesn't sound like he really wants to do it. He said that there could also be a problem with the crank, and replacing that could cost anywhere up to $900.

So I thought I might post what the engine is doing on here and see if anyone has any advice as to what I should do.

It starts up and runs great, but when it gets up to about 3k rpm, something starts clacking in the engine. As engine speed increases, clack speed increases. But it doesn't clack at idle or when i rev it up slowly until it gets to about 3k rpm. Hopefully you guys can help.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 PM

clack, you say?

hmmm, try this.

take a long screwdriver. one that will reach far into the engine bay and will keep you a little bit away from the engine heat. some noises get reverberated throughout the engine case. what this does is narrow and amplify the noise through the handle.

now, take the handle end of the screwdriver and put your ear at the end of the handle. take the pointy end of the screwdriver and place it where you think the noise is coming from. you need to have it on the engine case, not near it. you should be able to narrow down the area from which the noise is loudest as you listen through the handle. place the screwdriver at various points around the engine cases, underneath, over top, sides, front and back.

post back up where you narrowed down noise to be coming from. you'll probably have to have someone roll on the throttle while you hunt for the noise.

Quick Reply: Just bought a hurricane