CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

i hate the rain!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i hate the rain!!!

so my bike was out in front of my house when the damn monsoon hit desplaines this past weekend. unfortunatly it did flood and my stupid *** neighbor came flying thru the flood knocking my bike over where it sat for a total of 10 minutes by the time i saw it. needless to say the bike no longer starts. i pulled the plugs first to clear the massive amounts of water out. then i took my air filter and dried it out, replaced the gas with fresh gas, changed the oil and filter. I then tried starting it. wow wat a dissappointment! it wouldnt start, no matter how long i tried or how choked it was. i sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs and it started right up. so then i remove the fuel line to the carb rail and turnover the motor, no fuel. fuel pump has power, but when cycling the engine it seems as though it is duty cycled or something. my test light flickers and the pump does not turn on. does this sound like a fuel pump relay problem, r/r problem, or that stupid fuel cutoff relay or diode? the sooner i get this running the better. thanks in advance

Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Default RE: i hate the rain!!!

not sure, but I'd do the simple thing, reroute to gravity feed and disconnect the pump for now. then you can tinker with the pump in your spare time.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 AM

i dont think a gravity feed will work so good on this, petcocks too low for rail, and sits further back. i got a new pump and put it in but it didnt work.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 AM

Try drying out the Black box under the right side cover. That is the ignition control module... The rubber cover on some of the early modelsallowed water in and you could get a no start in the rain. If your bike got tipped it might be wet in there.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: sprtsfrk

i dont think a gravity feed will work so good on this, petcocks too low for rail, and sits further back. i got a new pump and put it in but it didnt work.
Dont be so sure, I ran a gravity feed on mine and it ran just fine.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:05 AM

The top half of the tank is higher than the carbs. Was the bike submerged? What side was it on?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Yeah the bike was bobbin up and down in the water on it's right side. It has spark, just the fuel pump doesn't put out, when I took it out and hooked it up to a 12 volt source it pumps.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM

try unplugging the fuel pump relay. there will be three wires, one is yellow, jump across the other two, to see if the fuel pump comes on. i have a spare realy, $25 mailed.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM

You could have water in the engine kill switch on the right switch cluster... shorting it to ground.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Alright so I jumpered the wires on the fuel pump relay wire harness, the bike wants to stay running, yet dies seconds after starting. Messed w the choke, if all the way open it starts, but if it's off, no way will it start. If I leave the key on, I can hear the fuel pump intermittently turn on, then after say a few seconds, it starts and idles great, hit the throttle, no go, dies out, then I have to wait all over again. Maybe I need to clean the carbs? And open those floats?

Quick Reply: i hate the rain!!!