CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

having cold start problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it fixed! A week or more of sitting can cause gas to go bad.. Generally when you have issues due to the bike sitting, it's the jets n floats that need some love

Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM

So tried to start it today and it looks like I have other problems.. the bike wouldn't even try to turn over.. this was after letteing the battery sit on the charger for 2 days. When I press the button the headlight ggoes off like it should but won't even try to start. Won't turn over. Wich is odd because the starter worked strong last time.. I took the batt in to get tested ad its good

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 PM

When you go to start, is the red oil and green neutral switch on? And with a good battery, then you may have accidentally unplugged your starter relay wires. Hook the bike up to a car that is OFF or a battery charger and try to start it.. If it turns over, it's your R/R that either got unplugged or needs replacement. If it doesn't turn over... Starter relay wires need double checked or starter issues. I didn't mention the stator because it's honestly part of the charging system and not really the starting system. The R/R checks both as does the battery. Idk.. Give those a try an let us know

Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM

yeah the neutral light and oil light is on, i think so they stay on when starting anyway..
it looks likes the bikes been rewired, and it looks a little shotty, there are 2 wires on the side of the connector that has wires going to the panel with the start button, i cant remember the exact color but they both have green in them, anyway there just hanging, cant fuigure out where they go

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Hmm.. Is your killswitch wired with all 4 wires?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

im not sure, its all wraped up, the green wires are separated from the wires that go to the switch, also i remember specifically not hearing any clicking when i tried to start the bike, how audible is the starter relay? because i did listen to see if i could here it click and heard nothing.. checked the fuse and its good.. im looking through wiring diagrams and the service manual for anything i could have missed or could be a problem.. also is it possable to bypass to bypass and use a jumper wire from the battery and starter? or would using a car battery overpower it and do that somehow?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM

You can connect a car battery as long as the car ignition is off

Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM

so i was looking through the manual and just noticed something, my kill switch isnt the same as in the Manuel, that explains it being rewired.
the one on it looks like this or this
Z1239 Honda 1998 CB750 Right Bar Switch | eBay
02 2002 Honda CBR F4I 600 NY 302524 Start Kill On Off Switch R Right | eBay

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM

and i figured out what the green wires are for, the wiring diagram says front brake light switch, so that has nothing to do with the starter controls, so im thinking the starter controls are all in-tacked , ill try the car battery thing next time i get out there, and also
check the starter relay, and if nothing else works im gonna try and using a fused jumper wire between the 2 terminals on the starter relay and see if that kicks the motor on

Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM

so i got the bike running!!!!! full choke and held the start button in wial i jumped the connections on the solenoid with a screw driver. cranked strong for a min but got it to start.
anyway i pulled the fuel hose off to see how the flow was to make sure it was getting fuel and it was weak, i loosened the tank cap and got alot better flow, i think the valve that lets air in the tank is out

Quick Reply: having cold start problems