CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Problems

I have searched and found out lots of info, and now I have questions. I pulled my bike out of 17years storage and figured the worst on all as I got it running. The fuel pump was a problem. It would not pump when I turned the key on. Duhhh, well I "fixed" that problem by bypassing the relay and wired it direct with the ignition. Key on,... Pump on... Things seemed ok, pump would pump, but would not pump up to pressure. After taking it apart, I realized the pump assymbly was gummed up with old fuel deposits, and then could not put the humpty dumpty pump back together. So 150 bucks later, put on the new pump with my "fixed wiring". Yes, direct to the ignition. Well that sortof worked. I then had a problem of whenever I pulled air in the line, like when I switched to reserve, the pump would just struggle with air in the line, and the bike would sometimes run, and sometimes die with the pump pumping its little heart out. I would purge the air, and then it would be ok. Well the other day, I ran out of fuel on reserve. Did the lay the bike over and shake it to get to some fuel. It worked, and got me there without pushing. Then filled up and took a ride, on the way home, it died about 40 miles from home. Plenty of fuel, pump pumping fast, and then the pump would stop, and the bike took off. It did this twice, and when I got it home. I checked for air int he line, and I could not see any air in the filter, I figured it was good to go. Well, the pump has not pumped again. I think I killed it. Pump not pumping, bike not starting.

I got about 5000 miles out of the pump, should I just get another?

Should I reconnect the relay, does that help the life of the pump?

Is there a less expensive pump that will work?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Default RE: Fuel Pump Problems

The pump is not supposed to pump all the time, that is why they put the relay in there.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Fuel Pump Problems

Check your fuel filter and have you cleaned out the carbs yet?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM

I figured the relay was a safety issue. And I still think it was. The problem is that the pump duty cycle took that into consideration.

And yes, I put on a new fuel pump, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the tank, and cleaned the lines.

Since last summer, I have made some progress in my fuel pump issue. I now understand that running out of fuel on this bike is just plain bad. I MUST manage my fuel better. This is my first motorcycle with a fuel pump. At this time, I have put a $15.00 Napa fuel pump in line. I think the pressure is a little high, it seems to flood out when I'm putting around town, and my gas mileage is a little low on the highway. But when I run out of fuel, and turn the lever, it starts back up befor I have slowed down much. I am contemplating putting a pressure valve to reduce the pressure, but I have no idea how much pressure is needed. I figure a couple pounds should do, and this pump is probably more than 7 psi. But with cell phone in hand, I am seeing how many miles I can get out of this pump. I am around 4,000 miles and counting. I will update if I get the pressure issue taken care of.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Default Pull the cap

Pull the cap and see it the wire came unsoldered. You may have got the leads hot enough to separate the connection.

Attached Thumbnails  Fuel Pump Problems-fuel-pump-4.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Yes, I bought one that had been on a VFR 750, and used the electric parts to fix my OEM pump. The plumbing of the VFR 750 was different so it was not a direct replacement. The electrical contacts on mine were worn out

Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 PM

i would run the relay mine hasnt given me any problems with over seven thousand

Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 PM

I am running the original fuel pump on my 87 hurricane as well as the relay and mine has over 65,000 on it.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
I am running the original fuel pump on my 87 hurricane as well as the relay and mine has over 65,000 on it.

DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNNNN...... my bikes at 18161kms original kms........

and Im all worried about all these issues I see with these bikes....

geeze

Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 PM

If you continue to have problems, these bikes will run without a pump. Just bypass it, and run your fuel line (with a filter inline) from the tank straight to the carbs. Ran mine like that for quite awhile until I found a used pump to replace mine. Didn't notice any major performance issues, and the pump wasn't there to fail and leave me walkin'.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Problems