CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

cracked fairing on my 89..how to remove the fairing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked fairing on my 89..how to remove the fairing??

so i tipped my bike over and now have a cracked fairing...it wraps under the bike to the other side..so i was wondering if anyone knows how to remove that or have tips on how to do it? i want to see if i can repair the crqck myseld because body shops cost an arm and a leg...thanks guys

Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM

first, you'll need to undo the rear side panels. find the flat screw head down by your foot pegs. turn it about 1/2 turn until it is able to be pulled out. then there are three more push/pull type fateners. just run your hand up along the edges until its pulled free.

next remove the side access panels. they have the air vents and two metal screws. they are 1/4 turn fasteners. the panel should slide right off.

the main side engine panels and upper fairing are held on by 10mm bolts. use a socker and remove; two underneath the access panel, one at the top of the radiator, one behind the tire, two along the bottom of the motor, and one back by the side panels.

becareful as the plastic is brittle. if anything breaks try and save all the pieces. i've used certain solvents to melt/fuse the plastic back together. also do some searches for abs plastic repair.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can fix this pretty easily depending on how bad the crack is. I would look into plastic welder solvent in a tube or purchasing the Plastic ABS welder that sells for around $250. Several differant ways to fix this but the correct way will fix your bike the right way and last vs the incorrect way and the plastic falls off riding down the road. As far as removing it. Just get the tools the user explained below and don't loose them. You should be fine and be delicate when removing the fairing.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM

oh ok,yea i feel like doing it myself because it is expensive at body shops,but than again i dont have all that much experience in body work and also dont have all the tools needed,but im going to see if i should just take it to the shop or buy some tools and try to do it myself.thanks guys

Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM

It's been many years and a few CBRs ago for me, but I did fix a pretty beat up set of fairings on a 90 Hurricane. I did not use any fancy tools and I did all the bondo work myself and took the primed panels to a body shop for finish paint. I have pretty decent skills at plastering/sanding around the house so I thought I would give it a try.

In the end they looked really great - couldn't see any sanding marks and they held up for a few years til I sold the bike without recracking. If I were you i would give it a shot. I don't know how bad yours are, or if you are missing the mounting tabs, but reinforcing the area around the tabs is pretty important on most of the pieces, especially where the side fairing mount up to the piece that hold the headlight.. that's where a lot of weight/stress is being applied to the tabs. You would be in good shape if you can glue or epoxy the tabs in place and add some body filler as support around any mounting holes that will be stressed.... and you won't see this when the fairing are installed.

I deciding to just forget about finishing the backs of the panels nicely since you don't see them - and where there were big cracks or the panels were broken in two - I just created "splints" to span across the cracks and hold the panels in place for final coating and sanding. I used the plastic spackle spreaders you can buy at auto and paint stores, then cut them into little one inch long, half inch wide strips and used them like you would use a butterfly bandage on a cut ;-) I used crazy glue to do the "bandanging" and then also used crazy glue along any cracks prior to adding body filler. When the glue was dry I used normal bondo type finishing material and sanded smooth, recoated, resanded, and did a primer then sand, re-primer, resand, etc... it turned out pretty well considering that a few pieces were cracked in half! I have read on this forum that people have ordered special ABS repair material so that might be the way to go in terms of filling scratches and or gouges.

Good luck

Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM

There is a product called plastifix that is uncured abs. It is used in the appliance industry to repair fridge liners... It is under $20 for a jar of it. I have repaired the tabs on the side covers with it as well as the panels. All that is reqiured is a good clean and light sanding of the area with the break. Apply the fresh plastic and let it cure. Good or better than new.