CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Clean down and re spray engine! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean down and re spray engine! Advice?

Hello all,
I have the pleasure in owning 2 CBR 600 F's one is a track bike, the other is my near finished project, mainly all I need to do is reassemble, the only thing is, Is that I am not sure how to clean the engine down and weather to re spray it, so I'm in need of a list of cleaning solutions if possible, and what to use to re spray the engine if I can, I have re wired the whole bike, and cleaned and re sprayed the frame, so I'm almost there.
But any further help would be really appreciated, I am no pro guys and don't pretend to be, I have done all this on the manual and looking things up on the web, I did post a request for the wiring diagram required to convert my single head light to twins here, but I just can't find it. It was a few months back.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get yourself some brake clean and a firm bristle brush (Not steel) and spray it and then use the brush to get into any greasy spots, then use some engine degreaser to get all of the residue. Then again, nothing really beats Sunlight's grease fighting formula (dish soap). Oncew you got it all cleaned down, a nice aluminium colour engine paint will do nicely.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Progress of my re build.

Originally Posted by tds94probe
i would get yourself some brake clean and a firm bristle brush (Not steel) and spray it and then use the brush to get into any greasy spots, then use some engine degreaser to get all of the residue. Then again, nothing really beats Sunlight's grease fighting formula (dish soap). Oncew you got it all cleaned down, a nice aluminium colour engine paint will do nicely.

Thanks for that, well things have come on a bit! I ended up using paraffin for most of the clean down, works brilliantly with a dental brush! Again perfect, as its got a curve to it, I ended up getting the whole frame apart, and had it powder coated! And dipped. Looks like new. I'm really pleased. Cleaned up all the other parts, still not cleaned the engine! OK OK, its time.... I haven't started re assemble still. Was wondering if anyone who ones a CBR locally of similar age could pop over, just so I can take some pics for me to use as a good guide, for wiring loom, connections, bolt placement, and for me to buy in any brackets etc missing, As I know there are a few. Also, if anyone fancy's a build day and day soon. A BBQ and drink will be laid on. Not sure if anyone will respond to that, but if there is a good response, could turn it in to a Forum party type thing? Any takers????
Any Help or advice, pictures , you name it, on reassembly, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to you all

Justin (Not so Newby1) ha ha